I came up with this one year when I needed something quick for Valentine's Day.
- cake mix
- 8" square cake pan
- 8" round cake pan
Step 1: Bake the Cake
Make the cake mix as you normally would, dividing the batter between the two pans so that they're roughly the same height. Bake and let cool before starting on the cutting.
Step 2: The Surgery
1. Cut the round cake in half.
2. Cut 2" of the end of each half.
3. Take the 2 larger pieces and arrange them above the square, forming the top of the heart.
4. Take the 2 smaller pieces and arrange them on either side of the square, completing the curves.
5. Cut the bottom of the square into a V shape and remove the excess.
Step 3: Frosting
The cake might be a bit lumpy, so make sure you have plenty of frosting on hand to fill in the gaps. This one's a yellow cake with butter creme frosting (plus a bit of red food coloring).
Participated in the