A hearty apple is a fun way to bring a smile to anyone's face. Pack it in a lunch or serve it at mealtime. This tutorial will show you how quick and easy you can turn an ordinary apple into an extraordinary apple.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Need
- 2 Red apples
- 2 Green apples
- 1 Sprig parsley
- 1 Small lemon wedge or lemon juice
- 1 Heart Shaped mini cookie cutter
- 1 Small Paring knife
- Small dish for the lemon juice.
Step 2: Wash the Fruit
Make sure the apples and lemon are washed and dried before starting.
Step 3: Bloopers
- The first one I cut was much too deep.
- You want to pierce the apple skin and go just a little past that point.
- You want a shallow heart shape.
Here are pictures I took to show what to do and what not to do.
Step 4: Juice the Lemon
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl so you can dip the heart into it as soon as possible.
Step 5: Cookie Cutter
- Eyeball where you want the heart to be.
- Center the cookie cutter over that area.
- Apply a little pressure and push the cookie cutter into the apple leaving enough of the cookie cutter to pull it out.
- Carefully remove the cookie cutter so the cut is a clean cut.
Step 6: Carving the Apple Heart
- Take the paring knife and carefully slip it under the apple skin.
- Carve around the apple shape with a shallow cut.
- Remove the heart.
Step 7: Coat the Apple With Lemon Juice
- To keep the apple from turning brown take the lemon piece and coat the exposed apple pieces with the lemon or juice.
- This should be done as soon as possible. I waited a little too long.
Step 8: Swap Apple Hearts
- Swap the green and red hearts to each apple by placing them into the exposed apple hearts.
- That is it!
Step 9: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
It is not too difficult to make these once you cut out a few of the hearts. Hopefully the tips will help you. I had to figure it out for myself.
I went to the store to buy some nice big apples and they did not have any.
Thank you for stopping by and please do visit again. Remember to have a splendorous day!