Celebrate your Christmas and DIY spirit with these cute hardware ornaments and matching tree topper!
Materials - Tree Topper
1/4" Hex nuts (72)
1/8" Hex nuts (36)
1/2" Hex nuts (7)
1/4" Washers (18)
1/2" Washer (1)
1/4" x 6" Eye bolt (1)
2.5" diameter magnet (1)
Tiny neodymium magnets (3)
Krylon spray paint - Metallic - Gold
Krylon spray paint - Brushed Metallic - Caramel Latte
10mm point-back Swarovski rhinestones (7)
Materials - Ornaments
Hex nuts (21)
Head pins (3)
6mm point-back Swarovski Crystals (3)
Krylon Spray paint - Brushed Metallic - Caramel Latte
Krylon Spray paint - Gloss - White
Tools - Tree Topper
Tools - Ornaments
Round nose pliers
* This is for a simple pattern, but more intricate designs wouldn't take much more effort. However, if creating anything larger, I would recommend epoxy over superglue since it will get heavy.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Paint
The project included colors of Krylon spray paint. I glued the hex nuts into rings before painting them and sprayed each side once following the directions on the paint can.
Magnet in Caramel Latte
Hex rings in Caramel Latte (3)
Hex nuts in gold (6)
Hex ring in White (1)
Hex ring in Caramel Latte (1)
Step 2: Add Loop to Ornaments
Add a loop to the top of each ornament on which to attach the Christmas tree hooks.
1. Drill a small hole in the tops of three hex nuts. Hole must be smaller than the end of the head pin I used the 1/16" Dremel drill bit.
2. Thread head pin through the nut and cut, leaving about 1/2" of wire.
3. Bend wire into loop with a round nose pliers.
Step 3: Assemble Ornaments
Glue rings with a center hex nut, add crystal and the ornaments are all set!
Step 4: Glue Tree Top
You'll be making:
- 1/4" hex rings (12) and glue a gold hex nut on each
- 1/8" hex rings (6) and glue a set of washers to each
- Stacks of 3 washers (6)
- Glue crystals into 3/4" hex nuts (7)
Once all the pieces have completely set it is time to put the whole thing together...
1. Glue 6 rings to the magnets and flip over.
2. Glue the next 6 1/4" rings.
3. Glue 6 smaller rings.
4. Glue 3/4" hex nuts between arms.
Step 5: Prepare Tree
1. Saw off top of tree and drill 1/4" hole.
2. Screw in eye bolt at least an inch.
Step 6: Attach Snowflake to the Eye Bolt
To attach assembled tree top to eye bolt:
1. Put the screw through the center of the magnet and eye of eye bolt.
2. Screw washer/nut on the back to secure the piece.
3. Attach three tiny magnets to the back of the final hex nut
4. Place last hex nut in center to cover the screw.
Runner Up in the
Krylon Holiday Decorations Contest