Hidden Spice Rack




The wife had been hounding me over making her a spice rack and I finally found the time to get it knocked out.

Materials I used:

  • 1 1/2 2x4's = $6.00
  • 1" wood screws from Walmart = $2.50
  • 2 cans of spray paint = $8.00
  • 1 package of small wheels from a file cabinet
  • Total Cost = Roughly $16.50

Tools I used:

  • 1 Tablesaw
  • 1 Palm Sander (You can use a sheet of sandpaper if you don't have one)
  • Hammer
  • Drill

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Cutting the Wood

I used my Table saw to cut the 2x4's into the size pieces I wanted. I measured the space we had between the fridge and the counters and it was just over 4 inches. Once I got the thickness I wanted (around 3/4") I made several cuts with the table saw to cut them to size.

Step 2: Adding the Shelves

Next I assembled the outside frame and measured and cut the shelving. I used some of the spices from my wife's old shelf to measure appropriate spacing to get the spices in and out effectively. Once the shelves were attached I cut some of the wood shelves into smaller strips to use as the railing for the spice rack.

Step 3: Adding Wheels

I added some old file cabinet wheels that were never used so that it could roll in and out easily. Since the wheels were designed to spin freely I added a wedge to the front that eliminated this so I could pull it out an push it in with no wheel twisting.

Step 4: Checking the Fit

Assembly complete, checking to make sure measurements were correct and that it fits.

Step 5: Adding a Top Rail

After checking the fit I noticed the top had a lot of unused space so I took it outside and added some of the extra rails on the top to make it into an area we could keep small items or our Keurig coffee pods. I used smaller nails to attach it to the top and used a punch to hammer them in a little farther so that I could cover the holes with wood putty and paint over them.

Step 6: Finished Product

The final step was painting and sealing. I sprayed the entire thing with a clear polyurethane left over from an older project so that the paint would hold up a little better under daily use.



    • Indoor Lighting Contest

      Indoor Lighting Contest
    • Stone Concrete and Cement Contest

      Stone Concrete and Cement Contest
    • DIY Summer Camp Contest

      DIY Summer Camp Contest

    7 Discussions


    3 years ago

    Its more green than blue..n i guess its the colr they wanted it to be..


    3 years ago

    Like the idea a lot. When I get time, I'm going to try this. Thanks for the idea!


    3 years ago

    love this ,great job have to show this to my husband !


    3 years ago

    that is fantastic .we all like a bit of spice in our lives .


    3 years ago

    Good trick chocking the wheels so as to prevent rotation, plenty of these roadside on discarded chairs.