Intro: Home Made Sock Shoes
I love to walk barefoot, but sometimes that is not the best idea. Shoes are not always necessary, so I thought the solution would be sock-shoes. Just socks with a sole underneath. (Then I found out that I was not the only one with that idea, but I still made them.)
I used oogoo for the soles. I used oogoo before in different projects.
Step 1: You Will Need
- Thin wood ply
- Silicone sealant
- Corn starch
- Wood glue
- Digital camera
- Computer and printer
- Scissors / knife
Step 2: Stamp Your Foot
To import my foot into the computer, I first made a impression of it.
- Print the 10 x 10 mm sheet.
- Put non permanent paint on the bottom of your foot.
- Step on the sheet.
- Make a picture of the print of your foot.
Step 3: Import Your Foot
- Put in Gravit Designer (or Inkscape or Illustrator) a grid of 10 x 10 mm.
- Import the picture of your foot.
- Scale the picture until the 10 x 10 mm grid on the picture comes close to the 10 x 10 mm grid in the program.
- Outline the parts where you want the sole to be.
- Add an extra layer around the whole foot.
Step 4: Cut the Parts
I decided that both my feet are the same size!
- Cut both forms on the lasercutter from 4 mm ply.
- Cut them again mirrored for the other foot.
- Sand the ply smooth.
Step 5: Make the Mold
- Glue the first layer on a piece of ply.
- Glue the second layer on the first layer.
- Let dry.
- Wax the mold for easy release.
Step 6: Make Your Oogoo
Make your oogoo.
- Put silicon in a cup.
- Add oil paint if you want a color.
- Stir well.
- Add corn starch.
- Stir again.
I added a lot of starch because I wanted a quick drying oogoo.
Do this in a well ventilated room, because as soon as you stir the starch in, the mixture will smell a lot!
Look for other Instructables if you want to learn all the ins and outs of oogoo.
Step 7: Mold the Sole
- Smear the oogoo in the mold.
- Put the sock on your foot.
- Step with your sock in the mold.
- Make sure that you are correctly centered in the mold.
- Now you wait.
- Still standing in the mold.
- And wait.
- Wait some more (like 20 - 30 min.)
Step 8: De-mold
- Get your foot out off the mold. (it might be a little sticky)
- Peel the shoe out of the mold.
- Remove the flashing.
Step 9: Other Foot
- Repeat everything in a mirror image for the other foot.
You could do both feet the same time. That will reduce the waiting time with your feet in the mold.
Step 10: Proud Owner of My Own Sock Shoes
The sock-shoes walk great. Durability on the long run is something that remains to be seen.
What would I do different:
- Try only oogoo in the bottom layer of the mold.