Introduction: Homemade Carbonara
I just love carbonara! I would say it is my favorite pasta/sauce. I thought, it must be impossible to make something so delicious. Well, it isn't! It is very easy. So I made it and promptly ate it all up (with some help).
Step 1: Ingredients
- Pasta (I used enough for 2)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese (Grated is better, mine was just shredded but it worked out fine)
- 1 Pkg. Bacon (I just really like bacon, you don't need this much)
- 3/4 Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 Eggs
- Pot for boiling Pasta
- Pot/Pan for Bacon
- Bowl for mixing sauce ingredients
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board and Knife
Step 2: Get Everything Going
- Cut up your bacon.
- If you don't want to cut it up, you can cook the full strips and try to break it up with your spoon as you cook it.
- Put a bit of olive oil in a pan and turn on the stove.
- Throw in the bacon and start cooking!
- (Mine made a mess of the pan since I was always stirring it so you may not want to do this if you really don't want to clean that mess.)
- Drain the fat when it's done.
- Either put it back in the same hot pan to wait, or if the pasta is ready, you'll be mixing it with that.
- While the bacon is cooking, start heating up some water. (You might want to do this before you start the bacon.)
- Boil your pasta until it is cooked the way you like.
- Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot. (Go on to next step)
- Cook the peas.
- That is all.
You are doing everything at the same time, but it's not bad at all. I thought I would be going crazy running from one thing to another, but it isn't that much to do. Cook up the peas and then just set them aside. Boil water and we all know that takes forever and you just have to wait for it to happen. You will spend most of this time preparing and cooking the bacon.
Step 3: Mixing Time
- Crack and beat your eggs.
- Once they are ready, mix in the whipping cream and parmesan cheese.
- Once the bacon and pasta is ready (ideally they will be ready at the same time), take everything off the heat and mix it all together in one of the hot pots you just used. (Remember to drain the pasta first!)
- Mix everything up. You are using the heat from the pasta and bacon to cook the sauce. (I actually put it back on the stove on the very lowest setting for a couple minutes because my bacon and pasta didn't finish at the same time and I was afraid I didn't have enough heat to cook the eggs and cream properly.)
- *Be careful not to scramble the eggs by cooking it on too high a heat, that is why you take the pasta and bacon off the heat before adding the egg mixture.
- When everything is mixed up and heated up, stir in your peas and you are ready to eat.
Step 4: Eat It!
It is so good! Eat it up!
*Note for reheating. It's hard. You need to carefully heat it up like you would with candy melts. Otherwise you start to scramble the eggs.
Participated in the