There is nothing more refreshing on a hot summer day than a home-made ginger beer.So gather the ingredients and let your imagination (and this recipe) bring you into a world of fun, food, and science.
Step 1: Step 1: Ingredients
Ginger syrup ingreidents
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger or 3 Tablespoons dried ginger
Ginger beer ingreidents
- 1/8 tsp active dry yeast
- Ginger syrup
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 7 Cups drinking water
Step 2: Step 2: Making the Ginger Syrup
- Place 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root (use 3 tablespoons if using dried ginger) in a sauce pan on medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Let steep for 1 hour (2 hours if using dried ginger)
- You've now made ginger syrup. Stop right here if you don't want to bother with fermentation; and pour 2 tablespoons ginger syrup over ice in an 8 ounce glass, and fill rest way up with club soda/seltzer water.
- But if you want to be able to say you made ginger beer completely yourself...than stick with me.
- If your gonna stick with me than put your ginger syrup in a clean jar and store in fridge until ready to start fermenting.
Step 3: Starting Fermenting
- Place funnel in 2 liter bottle and put in 1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast, *ginger syrup, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 7 cups warm water.
- put lid on bottle and shake concoction :) until all yeast is dissolved and syrup thoroughly mixed in.
- Place bottle out of direct sunlight for 2-3 days or until reached desired fizz. Note: at least once or twice a day check on it and open the bottle to let air out so as not to let it explode.
- When fizz amount is reached (2-3 days) put bottle in fridge; this will stop the fermentation process.
*ginger syrup was made in step 2
Step 4: ENJOY !
- Serve over ice with a lemon slice on the side for extra flavor and looks.
- ENJOY! (yes that is one of the steps; if this step is not completed the recipe will have been a failure :)
- If you liked this recipe please vote likewise in the contests.