Introduction: Homemade Gold-plating ( Super Simple )
Super simple way to gold plate your fav blade or tool
( or whatever you want to plate, as long as its metal :)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials and Tools:
- Soldering iron and some wire
- Rubber Gloves and protective eye wear
- Li Ion cell
- Dest. water
- Gold acid / Electrolyte
- Alligator clips
- Pencil / graphite rod or plate
- Drinking glass ( or a plastic pot of some sort, just no metal )
- Resistor ( 200 Ohm )
....oh and something to hang in there :) Copper is tricky! Steel will work great.
Step 2: Like This...
The ions = Au+ / positive charge, so they will travel to the neg electrode...make sure your
blade or whatever is hooked up to " - "
Step 3: Instructional Video
1. Solder the + WIRE to your AA-holder
2. Connect resistor to switch, switch to battery holder +
3. Stip off at least 1 inch of the isolation of the wire
4. File 2 lil notches into the head of your graphite electrode
5. Wrap the blank wire around it, fix by soldering...
6. Connect alligator-clip to the - pin of your AA-holder.
7. EYE WEAR AND GLOVES ON !
8. Put acetone in your drinking glass, hand on top, and then shake it, baby...
9. (ignore in case your gold solution is ready to use)Mix up your electrolyte, in my case 10 dest water + 1 electrolyte
10. Solution in the glass, battery in holder, electrode into the glass, whatever-you-want-to-plate as well.
11. Flip the switch, then check the color after 2-3 min.
12. Repeat until you are happy with the result :) and done.