Intro: Homemade Google Cardboard for Iphone
This Instructable shows you how to construct an iPhone version of Google Cardboard for under 20 dollars. Google Cardboard is a great way to get into the virtual reality scene without spending hundreds of dollars. Cardboard was originally designed for android phones. The original Cardboard kits come with a magnet attached to the side of the goggles that when moved acts like a tap of the screen. The iPhone does not have the sensors to register this as a click so in this instructable I will show you how to construct an iPhone compatible version that allows you to tap the screen through thumb holes cut in the bottom of the cardboard. This Instructable is based on the android version in this instructable, How to Make Google Cardboard.
(This iPhone version is sized up to the iPhone 6, I may be posting modifications that accommodate 6+ users.)
Step 1: Step 1: Parts
1. First you need a set of 25mm diameter, 40mm focal length lens. I buy these lens because of the fast shipping, cardboard lens. $5.50
2. Card board. I use a white gifting box that you can buy in most stores like Walmart or Fred Myer. They are also available online. I bought mine in a pack of three boxes for $4 at Fred Myer.
3. Cardboard template. You can print this out here, template
4. Road map or newspaper (optional but makes for much better looking product). ~$5
5. Velcro strips. ~$3
6. One head strap. This provides a more realistic, hands free experience but is also optional. Having no head strap and holding Cardboard to your face works just as well (You just don't look as cool). I bought mine here, cardboard head strap. $3.84
2. Exato/Box knife
3. Tape. scotch tape and packing tape.
5. Glue stick
6. Packing tape
7. cutting board
5. An iphone
Step 2: Step 2: Assembly
Step 3: Step 3: Finished!
When looking for apps for Google Cardboard I recommend searching Google Cardboard, durovis dive and virtual reality in the app store in order to find the most results. My favorite apps are Insidious VR, Google Cardboard and Roller Coaster Simulator.