Introduction: Homemade Lasagna
In today’s day and age, most families will buy boxed lasagna (such as Stouffer’s) from the grocery store and nuke it in their oven for a mediocre Italian experience. Try out this three generation passed down authentic Italian Lasagna recipe!
Another advantage, its vegetarian friendly!
Step 1: Gather All the Ingredients
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 cans of seasoned diced tomatoes
- 2 cans tomatoes sauce
- 4 tbsp Italian seasoning ( Mrs Dash’s italian medley)
- 1 ½ cups diced onion
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp pepper
- Lasagna Style Noodles (Barilla Preferred, but if you can find authentic noodles at a market, grab them!)
- 1 large bag (~8 cups)Mozzarella cheese
- 1 large bag (~8 cups)Sharp cheddar cheese
- 15 oz Ricotta cheese
- Lasagna sauce
- 1 15in x 17in Pan – Glass, foil, Metal, Stone (Preferably glass, Results will vary based on the selection of pans)
Step 2: Lets Get Saucy
- In a large pan, heat 4 tbsp. olive oil for 2 min at medium high heat.
- Sauté the chopped onions in the pan until the onions become light brown.
- Once the onions are done, add the cans of diced, crushed and pureed tomatoes in the pan. Add the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and brown sugar.
- Mix all the ingredients properly in the pan and shift them into a crock pot.
- Cook the sauce all the day at low heat in the crock pot.
- If you don't have a crock pot or don't have a whole day to prepare it, bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer for about half an hour.
- While trying to sauté the onion, make sure that the utensil is dry and use a long ladle to mix the onions.
Step 3: Layer It
- In a glass pan, add a layer (~2.5 cups) of lasagna sauce.
- Place a single layer of lasagna sheets, letting them overlap a little.
- Layer 1.5 cup of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses each over the lasagna sheet.
- Layer a third of ricotta cheese on the other cheeses.
- Add another layer of lasagna sauce and repeat the steps 2-5 twice.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of parmesan cheese on the top.
- Place the glass pan in the refrigerator overnight before baking or freeze it until ready to bake.
Note: If you don't have time to set the lasagna in the refrigerator overnight, you can skip to the next step. The lasagna wont taste bad, but keeping it in the fridge overnight will make it taste more delicious.
Step 4: Lets Bake the Masterpiece
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- Remove the lasagna from the fridge.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 25 mins.
- Remove the lasagna from the over and uncover it.
- Bake the uncovered lasagna for 20 mins.
- Remove the lasagna and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
Tip: Don't forget to wear the oven gloves.
Get your mouth gobblers ready and enjoy the delicious lasagna!
Godetevi la vostra lasagna