What to do with all those tomatoes you just harvested from the garden? How about some salsa! That's what I did today. I had about 2 kilos of tomatoes that I needed to preserve somehow. The recipe is for 400-500 grams of tomatoes, this gives almost 1 jar of salsa. The jars I used are from Ikea and you can find them here.
The ingredients that you need for this recipe are:
400 - 500 grams tomatoes
2 teaspoons powdered paprika
3 teaspoons sambal oelek
5 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6,5 tablespoons water
- First thing to do is of course to rinse off your tomatoes. Then you slice them into smaller pieces. Put them in a pot that is big enough to have the mixture boiling in it. Add all the other ingredients on top of the tomatoes in the pot.
- Turn on the heat.
- Make sure to keep stirring so it doesnt burn. Once it starts to boil you need to keep it boiling for 10-15 minutes.
- Remember to taste the salsa once it has boiled together (previous step), if needed you add more salt or sugar or any other spice of your liking. If you add more spices of any kind make sure to let the salsa boil while stirring for at least 5 more minutes.
- When you're happy with the taste it's time to pour the salsa into a jar. Make sure to seal the jar tight as soon as it is filled up. Let the jar cool down then store it in a cold place, e.g. the fridge.
- A good tip is to put some kind of tag on the jar, with the date of the making.