Intro: Homemade, Stovetop Popcorn
I was taught how to make this recipe by my Mom when I was about 8 or 9, and never cooked microwavable popcorn ever since. It's quick, easy, and delicious.
Step 1: Equipment and Ingredients
- Large Bowl: I use a large, metal bowl to mix the popcorn with the salt and butter.
- Large Tupperware Container with Lid: You can use this instead of the bowl. Personally, I find this much easier to use, but if you don't have one you can use the bowl.
- Medium Saucepan with Lid: To cook the popcorn in kind of self-explanatory.
- Popcorn Seeds: Popcorn comes in white and yellow (but I even bought it as purple at a Cracker Barrel once), and is bought in the same aisle as microwavable popcorn. You only need about one cup, but I never measure. >.<
- Butter: Because all popcorn needs butter. You'll need about 2 or 3 tablespoons.
- Salt: I personally bought some popcorn salt at a Giant Eagle (I think), but regular salt could be used too.
- Oil: To oil the pan. ...Yeah.
Step 2: Popping the Corn
Now that you have all your ingredients, start popping. Start out with your oil and your pan. Pour the oil in the pan and swirl it around until it completely covers the bottom.
Next, pour the popcorn in the pan. Like the oil, put enough in until it covers the bottom. Cover the pan, and turn the heat on high.
Every so often, make sure to mix the popcorn up a bit.
While the popcorn in heating up, melt the butter. You only need about 2 to 3 Tbsps. Melt it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. And don't worry if it explodes every so often. It's happened to me! >,<
By now, you should be listening to the popcorn. At one point, the popcorn goes nuts and pops nonstop. Once you can about count to 3 between each pop, turn the heat off. Even after you turn it off, the popcorn continues to pop. Wait until it completely stops popping to pour it into the bowl/Tupperware container.
Step 3: Adding the Spice(s)
Now that your corn is popped, you can spice it. There are many different popcorn spices out there that you can but at Wal-Mart or even Ross. For example, I have Ranch, Nacho, Taco, and many other spices. Or you could just use salt, if you want.
First, pour on the melted butter. To mix it, rest the bowl on you tummy and tip the other end up and down. It sounds weird, I know, but this causes to fold more that stir. If you're using the Tupperware container, simply pop the lid on and toss it in the air a couple of times.
Next, throw in the salt. The amount depends on your taste, and I add about a teaspoon or two.
Step 4: Enjoy!
Finally, a delicious batch of popcorn you can make with dignity! No more microwavable popcorn for you! I hoped you liked my very first Instructable. Make sure to comment. <3