Introduction: Honey Lip Balm
I’ve made a great lip balm recipe that’s works better than my Burt’s Bees lip balm. Along with this recipe I try and be proactive. Lips are delicate and need a little extra attention.
My Rules for Lip Care
1. If I’m going to be outside for more than a few minutes I make sure I have a balm covering my lips. This covers the skin with a nice barrier to protect it from the wind and sun.
2. After I brush my teeth I apply lip balm and if my lips feel even the least bit dry I apply a bit of honey on them before bed. Honey acts as a humectant (a substance that attracts and retains moisture) -when I wake up my lips are revived and they taste awfully sweet .
On to the recipe!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials You'll Need
- A double boiler or melting pot (I use a melting pot- as seen in the first photo)
- A glass jar (to mix the ingredients into)
- a metal spoon (to stir the ingredients)
- a metal tsp for measuring
- The recipe yields 1/2 ounce. Just enough to put inside the lid of a bottle. I use a top from an old spice bottle.
Step 2: Ingredients You Will Need
- 3 teaspoons grated unbleached beeswax (Know your source, you don’t want any chemicals in there!)
- 5 teaspoons carrier oil (I use jojoba but some other options are sunflower or castor)
- 1/2 tsp Vitamin E
- 1 tsp honey
Step 3: Beeswax & Carrier Oil
- Melt the beeswax and carrier oil together in the top of a double boiler or a melting pot.
Step 4: Stir
- Stir the beeswax and oil together and remove from heat.
Step 5: Honey & Vit. E
- Add honey and Vitamin E. Mix thoroughly so the honey does not clump.
Step 6: Final Step
- Pour into your balm holder.
- Let sit 20 minutes before covering or moving.
If you liked this project follow me! You can also see lots of other projects I do with my husband Mike on our blog, Mike and Molly's House. It where we do 'mighty projects on our mini farm'!
Participated in the
Valentine's Day Challenge