Introduction: Hot Chocolate Cookies (Gluten and Dairy Free)
Imagine a mug of rich hot chocolate….in the form of a cookie. Now imagine it is gluten and dairy free! I played around with the ingredients I use to make hot chocolate and ended up with these awesome chocolate cookies. They screamed ice cream sandwiches to me....so I paired them with some non-dairy mint chocolate chip ice cream. Amazing!!
Step 1: Ingredients
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 cup oat flour
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup + 2 TB sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
**makes about 32 cookies (3")
Step 2: Instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
2. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the coconut milk, oat flour, almond flour, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, baking powder and cocoa powder to the bowl (every ingredient EXCEPT for the chocolate chips). Mix on low until combined, then mix on medium/high until it is thoroughly mixed (about 20 seconds). It should almost resemble a pudding. Scrape down the sides of the bowl half way through to make sure everything is incorporated.
3. Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and stir on Low until they are mixed in.
4. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, and drop Tablespoon sized amounts of batter onto the sheet...leaving 2-3" of space between each cookie. They will spread out and flatten during baking.
5. Bake at 375 for 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Note: To make these into ice cream sandwiches, soften your ice cream (I use the microwave for 20 seconds) and then scoop some onto an upside down cookie. Press a second cookie on top of the ice cream and either eat immediately, or wrap in plastic wrap and store in the freezer until you are ready to serve.