Introduction: Hot Dog Meal on a Stick
Ever wished you could eat a hot dog, fries and hush puppies in the same mouthful (without looking like a pig and literally taking a bite of a dog, shoving fries in your face and trying to squeeze in a hush puppy?)... well, have I got news for you! It is possible! And all this fun can be had while eating off of a stick ^_^
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What Do I Need?
- 1 recipe of corn-meal batter (recipe in next step)
- 2 cups crinkle cut fries, thawed and chopped into ~2-3cm pieces
- 4 hot dogs, pre-cooked
- 4 skewers
Step 2: The Batter and Fry
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1.5 liters oil, for deep frying
1. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder.
2. Add in egg and milk to the flour mixture, stirring until well combined.
3. Preheat oil in wok over medium heat, until it reaches 375degrees. Insert skewers into the hot dogs. Roll hot dogs in the cornmeal batter until well coated.
4. Just before frying the hot dogs, coat the battered dog with pieces of french fries. (Note: if you find it hard for the fries to stick, place some fry pieces on a large slotted spoon, then lay the battered dog on top of the fries and lower the spoon into the hot oil. Then, sprinkle more fry pieces on top of the battered dog and submerge fully into the hot oil.)
5. Fry 2 battered dogs at a time until lightly browned, ~3-4 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Step 3: Finished!
Serve your french-fry, hush puppy dog on a plate or simply on the stick, accompanied with ketchup, hot mustard, sweet chili sauce, or whatever condiments you enjoy on fries and hot dogs.
Participated in the
Stuff on a Stick Contest