Intro: Hot and Cold Smoker
Smokezi is the name of the machine/brand that I invented (Smoke Easy). This instructable show the inventor
how to build the machine and the fuel used to smoke. I machine allows the user to cook smoked food at a regulated temperature with consist smoked without any of the carcinogenic side effects caused by cooking with a normal conventional food smoker. This machine is electrical power Hot and cold food smoker. Cold smoker is not cold but ambient temperature smoke. I have developed and Analog system as well as a digital System.
Step 1: CNC Laser & Bending
Attached is a "Smokezi DWG & DXf"
zip file complete file with the complete drawing of the Smoker cabinet. Send the file to a CNC laser cutter and bender. Each of the drawings has a description of the type of metal and wood, the thickness and the Grade. The drawing design illustrates where the bends are and the angle at which the bends are to be bent.
Step 2: Pre Assembly and Powder Coating
Once your metal work is completed and ready for collection you can start piecing and welding it together. I would start with the stainless steel inner cabinet. Your drawings on the DXF file show and indicate what connects to each other and where to spot weld. Once you have fully assembled your metal work you can send all your mild steel into your locate paint shop for powder-coating.
Step 3: Collecting Electrical Parts
While your metal work is in for powder coating you can start collecting your complete electrical parts for your harness. For your heating elements you are going to need:
- 1x FMC heaters 111L X 65W 230V 200W @ $ 23.00 each
- 1x off Tubular heater 8D X 775L 230V 500w @ $ 13.50 each
- 1x off Limit thermostat 40 - 210 degrees Celsius @ $14.00 each,
Electrically you going to need:
- 2x on/off switches
- 1x reset switch
- 1x AC computer fan $10
- For your Puck mechanical motor your are going to need a synchronous motor 49TYJ 220 -240v 50/60hz 2.5/3 rpm <= 4w CV @ $10 each,
- 2x micro switches and a standard timing switch.
- Main power supply 1x Standard female plug with a 10amp fuse and a built in On/off switch.
- 20 meters of heat proof cable
Step 4: Collecting More Parts
While your metal work is in for powder coating you can start collecting all the rest of you parts needed to complete the Smoker.
You will need :
- 4x door hinges
- 3x meters of heat resistant fridge magnets
- 2 meters of standard 700’c fire blanketing
- assorted counter sunk nuts and bolts
Step 5: Chamber Assembly
When your Metal work arrives back from the powder coaters you can start on the final assembly.
- Start with the bolting the stainless steel inner chamber and chimney to the outer casing using countersunk bolts and nuts.
- Once the inner chamber and outer casing are connected, fill the gap between the inner and outer with fire blanketing. This is used to act as insulation from the extremely hot temperatures the inner chamber will release.
Step 6: Brain Assembly
To Assemble the smoke mechanism (the brain box). Position the Synchronous motor underneath the slider tray, bolt the motor bracket (which you laser cut) to the motor and the slider tray. Position and connect the two swing arms (which you laser cut) to the motor and the puck pusher. Position the micro switch against the slider tray, where the swing arm meets the connects with the micro switch. Connect the slider tray bracket (which you laser cut) to the slider tray and the base of the brain box. Directly underneath the slider tray bolt your timer to the base on the brain box. Set your timer for 20-minute increments. Bolt the exterior stainless steel puck slider tray to the exterior of the brain box. Bolt your FMC heaters 111L X 65W 230V 200W to the exterior slider tray. Position and bolt the DC computer fan to the exterior of the brain box, making sure the fan direction is pushing the air away from the brain box and towards the FMC heaters 111L X 65W 230V 200W. Feed the FMC heaters 111L X 65W 230V 200W wiring and the AC Computer fan into the brain box and wire directly to the smoker on/off switch (allowing the user to use the smoker as an oven only or as a smoker addition using the Smoker on/off switch). Wire your timer in series to your micro switch and Synchronous motor. Wire your reset button and smoker on/off button in series to the timer. Bolt the puck feeder to directly above the slider tray. Remember all your bolt holes and marking are already pre done (when you laser cut). So it's really as simple and positioning and bolting it to together.
Step 7: Smoke Chamber Box Installation
Position the removable smoke chamber box next to the brain box directly over the smoke chimney. Position and Bolt the 2 x door hinges from the smoke chamber box to the smoke chamber box door. Position and bolt the Fridge magnet around the smoke chamber box door using the brackets (which you laser cut). This will keep the smoke chamber door closed and insulated. Allowing the AC computer Fan to flow directly down the smoke chimney into the inner Smoke chamber.
Step 8: Oven Element Installation
Oven element installation. Bolt the off Tubular heater 8D X 775L 230V 500w to the back of the marked inner smoker stainless steel chamber. Install your Oven on/off switch and the off Limit thermostat 40 - 210 degrees Celsius to the marked area on the brain box. Wire in series the off Tubular heater 8D X 775L 230V 500w directly to the off Limit thermostat 40 - 210 degrees Celsius and from the off Limit thermostat 40 - 210 degrees Celsius to the Oven on/off Switch. Allowing you the option to smoke with or with out heat using the Oven On/Off switch (the Cold smoke or hot smoke option). If you require heat you then are able to set the prescribed temperature using the thermostat.
Step 9: Main Power Supply Installation
Main power supply installation. Main power supply 1x Standard female plug with a 10amp fuse and a built in On/off switch wire in series directly from the base of the back plate of the exterior casing. Split the "live" and neutral to the smoker on/off switch and oven on/off switch located in the brain box. Connect your earth to the side position located on the outer casing.
Step 10: Door Installation
Lastly, position and Bolt the 2 x door hinges from the oven chamber box to the oven chamber box door. Position and bolt the Fridge magnet around the oven chamber box door using the brackets (which you laser cut). This will keep the oven chamber door closed and insulated. Before finally placing the wooden cover over the door insulate the inside of the door with fire blanketing.This is used to act as insulation from the extremely hot temperatures the inner chamber will release.
Place the food rack inside the oven chamber (which you laser cut), where you will place your food that you are wanting to smoke or cook.
Bolt the exit smoke adjuster to the back of the unit.
Step 11: Conclusion
- The puck feeder with Wooden smoking pucks ( which I will teach you high to make in the next section)
- Switch main power supply on .
- If you decide to Smoke your food with oven heat, switch your smoker ON/OFF switch in the ON position, switch your oven ON/OFF switch in the ON position. Switch your smoker ON position, will then activate the Synchronous to push 1x puck forward, this is what we call a puck push cycle, this will reactivate every 20mins.
- 3 puck push cycle’s need to be activated before the pucks actually react the heater element, which starts burning the smoker puck. To prevent having to wait 3 puck push cycles 20minutes each cycle, push the reset button that will over ride the timer and push a puck cycle. Press the reset 3 times and you good to start smoking immediately. Once a Smoking puck is on the heater element, it will burn for 20mins and the next puck will push the burnt whole puck off the heater element and a fresh new un-burnt puck will be automatically loaded onto the heater element. This process will continue as long as the smoker switch is on and there are pucks loaded to feed the puck push cycle.
- Oven switch in the ON position set the thermostat temperature and the oven chamber will heat at the temperature prescribed as long as the switch is on.
- To cold Smoke (or ambient temperature smoke).Turn the Smoker Switch in the ON position and keep the Oven switch OFF. The Smoker mechanism will activate as above. The AC Fan cooling the temperature of the smoke and pushing the smoke down the smoke chimney. By the time the smoke reaches the oven chamber the smoke is at ambient temperature, giving is a cold smoke for your food. Tip if you wanting to ice cold smoke, place a bag of ice cube at the inside base of the oven chamber.