Introduction: How I Fixed My Wireless Adapter
My Belkin FD6050 started failing for no apparent reason. After changing drivers in Linux and Windows I found out it was a faulty cable very near it's connector. The only way to fix it was changint the entire cable with something else. Something like USB A to A extension cord.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Diagnosing the Problem
I had to find the problem with my wireless adapter. It was about 5cm (2 inch) away from connector in a form of torn cable. As you can see the black wire was torn out of the plastic molded connector.
Step 2: Tools
This were my tools for today. I think it's more or less all self-explanatory except for the tape. It's a tape to insulate cables. Better alternative would be heat-shrinking tubes but I didn't have any at hand so I improvised.
Step 3: Cut!
I needed to get the cable ready. I needed to cut it, uncover their insulation and apply some solider to the cable.
Step 4: Prepare Wireless Adapter
By this time I had to prepare my old connector for the new cable. First thing I noticed was they 'used same colors. Actually looking into USB specs reveals color-scheme that confirms that.
Step 5: Test of the Idea
I carefully assembled the cables together (I used same wire colors) and put the adapter to the test. It worked!
Step 6: Finish
All I had to do now was to insulate each wire with the tape and close up the whole thing. To prevent the new cable being pulled out I did a gentle knot inside the adapter. The adapter now works flawless ever since, no more unexpected interrupts and kernel panicks.