The contest is over. See who won here!
Instructables has teamed up with Discover magazine to bring you the Green Science Fair For a Better Planet!
Think green, share what you've learned, and win some great prizes!
You could: build an eco-friendly project, test and compare "green" products, repurpose old parts, or just show us greener way to live.
Put on your lab coat, grab your notebook, and start testing those hypotheses!
- Make a solar powered water desalination out of plastic bottles
- Test and compare levels of CO2 in human breath, car exhaust, and combustion products.
- Find out how biodegradable different materials are
- Make a saline fuel cell
- Find the most drought-resistant types of grass
- Recycle your water in a hydroponic bog garden
- Hack a toilet for free water
- Test your electronics
- Make your own recycled solar panels
PrizesFirst Prize (1)
Celestron Skyscout: use advanced GPS technology with point and click convenience to identify thousands of stars, planets, constellations and more. Plus Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers.
Second Prize (2)
Sansa Express 1GB MP3 player, Instructables Robot t-shirt, patch, and stickers.
Third Prize (5)
Eton FR150 Microlink: Solar-Powered, Crank-powered Portable Radio with Flashlight and Cell Phone Charger
20 Things You Didn't Know About Everything, a book from the Editors at Discover magazine
First 10 Good-Quality Entries (10)
DISCOVER magazine T-shirt
JudgingJudging will be done by staff at Discover magazine and Instructables. Contest entries will be judged according to the quality of the idea, documentation, and presentation.
Open to enter: April 4, 2008-04 12:01 AM PST
Deadline for entries: June 6, 2008 11:59 PM PST
[/contest/greensciencefair/ View Contest now!]
Step 1: Official Rules
1. All federal, state, and local taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. No purchases are necessary; void where prohibited by law.
2. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, contest co-sponsors, and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this contest.
3. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available. Instructables and contest co-sponsors reserve the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. All potential winners are subject to verification at the discretion of Instructables and contest co-sponsors.
4. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and contest co-sponsors make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
5. Instructables and contest co-sponsors are not responsible for problems including (but not limited to) damaged, incorrect, inaccurate, lost, delayed, or defective entries, or for injury or damage to any computer resulting from participation in this contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void.
6. Instructables reserves the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time as necessary, at its sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at its sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
7. Instructables reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of the Terms of Service; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in a unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you represent and warrant that: you are over the age of 18, or entering with the knowledge and permission of your parent or guardian (subject to verification), and that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party.
9. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you hereby grant Instructables a perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty free right to publish and distribute your entry for their promotional purposes.
10. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substance laws of the State of California and any applicable laws and regulations of the United States.