Computer Speaker Surround Sound How to Make a Headphone Coupler

If you want to connect your computer speakers to your tv for surround sound you will need a headphone coupler or a rca to female headphone cord. I already had a rca to male headphone adapter so I decided to make a headphone coupler.

You will need the following:

1. Headphone splitter
2. Wire strippers
3. Tape
4. rca to male headphone adapter

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1:

Now to get started cut the male end off of your headphone spitter.
Then splay and strip the wires. Don't cut the cord without and outer cover.
Now twist the all of the wires by themself. ThenTwist the two reds together, the two whites together and finally the other wires together. Tape the wires together as shown below.

Step 2:

Now you're all done. Thanks and leave comments please.

Be the First to Share


    • Instrument Contest

      Instrument Contest
    • Make it Glow Contest

      Make it Glow Contest
    • STEM Contest

      STEM Contest

    8 Discussions

    i plug the headphones into one female end then plug a male to male into the other female end to extend my headphones all the time you dont need to mess with the wiring.


    10 years ago on Introduction

    ok dude im sorry but i need to bust your bubble here....why would u cut it up when those wires are already connected in the male piece. i use my splitter as a coupler all the time u dont need to cut it up. bad 'ible...sorry but this is pointless..


    10 years ago on Introduction

    I think I must be thick, but I do not understand the aim, the polarities, and the method and the achieved result. Please could you explain further. Thanks very much. Kind regards Steve.

    1 reply

    I wanted to use some old computer speakers for surround sound for my tv in my room and instead of buying a new cord to do so I used a cord that I already had but it would need a coupler