Intro: How to Make Hot Cinnamon Tooth Picks by Infusing
When I was growing up one of my favorite things to make were cinnamon toothpicks. We would buy the oil and make our own. All the kids loved them. Here is a tutorial on how to make these flavored toothpicks. They make nice party favors as well as handing out to the older children at Halloween. You could do this same thing with hot peppers for a gag gift. But remember paybacks are 10 times worse! After making these it sure brought back the good ole times! I am not sure where you even buy these retail. I live in a small town and have never seen them. I found one place here that sold the oil and it was at an Independent drug store. The herb store here did not have the oil.
WARNING: The oil is hot and care must be used while handling this product and storing it way from the children!
Step 1: Supplies
- Round toothpicks.
- 1Small glass vial or wide mouth glass jar
- Cinnamon oil, or Mint oil
- Scotch tape
- Wax paper
- Altoids can
- 1 More mini tall thin glass vial or plastic sterilized medicine bottle
Step 2: Soaking the Tooth Picks
- Pour a very small amount of the flavored oil into the bottom of a glass jar.
- Place the tooth picks in the jar.
- Seal with the lid.
- Let them soak over night.
- While they are soaking you can decorate the Altoids can.
Step 3: Decorating the Altoids Can
- Trace the lid on construction paper.
- Cut out the shape.
- Tape it to the can.
- Decorate it with the stickers.
Step 4: Make the Bag
If you will not be using a jar to put the finished toothpicks in you may make a wax bag like this:
- Simply tear off a strip of wax paper.
- Fold it double strength.
- Fold it into 1/3's to form a match book cover. When you fold it, it will form the bottom.
- Tape the seam secure.
- Place the finished toothpicks into the bag.
- Turn down the flap.
- Add a label, sticker, and/or bow.
- Staple it closed.
Step 5: Drying the Tooth Picks
- Place a napkin on a plate.
- After soaking the toothpicks over night remove them from the jar and spread them out on the napkin to dry.
- Allow to dry until there are no drops or oil on the toothpicks.
- If after a few hours and they are not dry, pat them with a napkin.
- Place them into a small tall thin glass jar. Glass is best but plastic will work.
- Or you may make a wax paper bag and put them in that.
Step 6: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts.
I have been chewing on these cinnamon sticks all day! They are really good. I am very pleased how they turned out and can't wait to have them for my guest. I made some to hand out for Halloween. I might put a few of these in the mail for some of my family and friends to enjoy. I hope this tutorial has inspired you to make some. You can use just about any kind of flavoring for these. Some might not be quite as strong but they would still be a good addition.
Thank you for stopping by and please do come back very soon. I have more tutorials lined up for Halloween. Take care and have a Happy and safe Halloween!