Intro: How to Make the Perfect Summer Cocktail: the Kentucky Mule
Summer is upon us. This beautiful, hot season will be filled with outdoor everything; whether it’s a party with friends and family or a relaxing night in. This great, refreshing cocktail will get the party started or keep you from overheating in the sweltering heat. The combination of mint, lime, ginger and whiskey are refreshing and will keep people begging for more. This cocktail is a twist on the Moscow Mule; this way is just making it a little more American. This would be a wonderful cocktail to have at your Fourth of July party! So lets get started!
Step 1: Make a Trip…to the Store (if You Don’t Have These Already)
You will need the following:
- A bundle of mint leaves
- Lime (one will make four cocktails, plus one more for garnish). You could use lime juice from a bottle, but it’s definitely better when it comes from an actual lime.
- Ginger beer (not ale!) I suggest everything but Reed’s Ginger Beer. It’s too sweet; get something spicy!
- Whiskey. Preferably a bourbon from Kentucky, like Maker’s Mark.
- Ice (if your freezer doesn’t already produce it)
- Copper mugs. A regular glass will work if you do not want to spend money on a few. They can be found at any kitchen-oriented stores (Sur La Table, Crate and Barrel, etc.)
- One shaker.
- One muddler. A spoon/fork will work just fine. I won’t tell anyone if you don’t!
- A knife. Use caution after two or more Kentucky Mules!
Step 2: Preparation Is Key!
Make sure everything is clean, once that is done…
- Leave mint leaves whole (muddling will break the leaves up)
- Cut lime into quarters.
Step 3: Get Angry and Muddle!
What I mean by this is...
- Throw mint leaves and 1/4 of a lime into the shaker.
- Muddle it, till there’s nothing left to muddle.Don’t be afraid to let today’s troubles get in the way of your muddling. Let your anger out on the lime and mint!
Step 4: Combine the (rest of The) Good Stuff.
- Add ice and an ounce and a half of whiskey to the muddled lime and mint in the shaker.
- Mix the flavors together, so shake lightly.
Step 5: Enjoy!
- Pour all (shaken) ingredients into copper mug.
- Top off with about 4 ounces of ginger beer and some more ice.
- Garnish with lime wheel and a mint leaf.
Enjoy this with your friends and family on a hot summer evening or enjoy this at home with your closest loved one. I hope this cocktail let you sit back, relax, and enjoy your surroundings. This cocktail goes great with any meal, so enjoy it whenever you want! End your week, full of stress, with this cocktail.