Learn how to create an origami penguin with a piece of 5x5 inch paper!
This project is for everyone with working hands! The materials are cheap, the project is easy to make, and the process makes for a fun time. Those experienced in origami may prefer written instruction, through the provided step-by-step, while others may find the video tutorial most helpful.
- 1 square piece of 5x5 inch black and white origami paper
- 1 set of stick-on googly eyes
- Construction paper (optional)
Note: Participants may be susceptible to receiving paper cuts. Beware!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Corner to Corner (Right Side)
- Grab the top right corner of the squared piece of paper and fold it to the bottom left corner.
- It should look like a triangular paper football. Unfold to original state.
Step 2: Corner to Corner (Left Side)
- Do the same for the top left corner, and fold it down to the bottom right.
- Unfold to original state.
- The creases of the unfolded square piece of paper should resemble an “x,” forming four small triangles.
Step 3: Wing Detail (Right Side)
- Turn the square piece of paper so that it is a diamond.
- A corner should point toward you.
- The white side should still be facing up.
Step 4: Wing Detail (Left Side)
- Take the right corner and fold into center of paper.
- The point of the corner will meet the perpendicular crease formed by the previous folds.
- Continue by taking the same point and folding it back over itself so that it touches the edge of the prior fold.
Step 5: Far-Crease Fold (Right Side)
- Do the same for the left corner of the diamond.
Step 6: Far-Crease Fold (Left Side)
- Unfold all folds so that just a white diamond remains.
- Two vertical creases will intersect the primary horizontal crease on the left and right side corners.
Step 7: Wing Fold (Right Side)
- Take left corner of diamond and fold it to outermost vertical crease on the right side.
- Unfold back to a diamond.
Step 8: Wing Fold (Left Side)
- Do the same for the right corner.
- Unfold. An additional crease is added on each side of the vertical center crease line.
Step 9: Tail Fold
- Take right corner of the diamond and fold roughly ¾ of the way down the diamond so that its side runs along the vertical line just right of the “center line” crease.
- The fold will be in the shape of a larger triangle. The excess space beneath it, on the bottom right, should form a smaller triangle.
Step 10: "Airplane" Fold
- Do the same for the left side.
- The folds will make wings and should make the paper look like a spacecraft.
Step 11: Head Fold
The “airplane” is positioned so that the narrow-most end is facing upward. The open side of the “airplane” should be facing to the right.
Take the narrow-most end of the paper and fold it slightly down and to the left (roughly ⅓ of the way down the paper). The tip should extend out to the left, looking like a head. Unfold the head back to a shape of a spacecraft.
Step 12: "Hood" Fold
- Flip the paper so that the white side is facing up with its black wings.
- Fold “spacecraft” as if to make it into an “airplane” again but this time fold the head ⅓ of an inch, over the other folds and edges like the hood of a coat.
Step 13: Beak Fold (Part 1)
- Unfold back to the shape of a “spacecraft”, with the white side of the paper should be showing with its black wings facing upward.
- Take the tip of the head and fold it down to the bottom of the diagonal creases created from the folding over of the hood.
Step 14: Beak Fold (Part 2)
- Take the tip once more and fold back over itself so that roughly ¼ of an inch remains between the crease of the fold and the edge of the prior fold.
- Push the beak in slightly, refold the paper into the shape of an “airplane,” and fold the head over the body like a hood once more
Step 15: Googly Eyes
- Add googly eyes to your penguin so that he can see how well you folded him.