Intro: How to Apply a Bumper Sticker
I recently acquired a largeish Instructables vinyl sticker, by winning 1st prize in a contest. What better way to celebrate than to apply it to my car, then, in the true DIY spirit, make an instructable and video on how to do it?!
So here you have it: The long awaited, much requested, "How to apply a Bumper Sticker".
Step 1: A Series of Consecutive Images, Accompanied by Audio
Because most good Instructables are accompanied by informative and entertaining videos, here is one!
Step 2: Gather Your Materials
If you want to redneck it, go ahead and skip the rest of this instructable. Why were you even reading this in the first place!? Real men never read instructions...
For the rest of us, here's what you'll need:
- Some soapy water, preferable contained somehow
- A towel that isn't your mother's finest
- A cloth for washing, also not to be your mother's finest
- A sticker, ideally of an Instructables robot, or something cool, witty and funny
Step 3: Get Your Car Wet - Then Dry It
Well, at least a part of it.
Figure out where you want to place your sticker.
- Remove any windshield wipers, old stickers, dead flies, cats, or extra arduinos that may interfere with placing your sticker there.
- Wash the spot thoroughly with your rag and soapy water. Don't scrub the paint off (if you're placing it on the body), just get all the dirt, dust, and above-mentioned contaminants off.
- Once you're done washing it, dry it off with the towel. Pretend your sticker is a witch, it will melt into smoke at so much as the sight of water- So dry it off good!
Step 4: Apply the Sticker
This part should be the most self-evident piece of the process. Need I say anything?
Regardless, here are a few tips to make sure you get it perfect first time.
- After removing the rear backing, apply the sticker in a reverse-peeling action. (You can try before you remove the backing, if you like...)
- Use your thumb or the edge of some stiff card to push outwards, attempting to remove the small bubbles that may have gotten trapped underneath the sticker.
Step 5: Finished?
I sure hope so. If these instructions aren't enough, well... I don't think I can help you.
Feel free to leave your own sticker-applying tips or tricks down below, or just comment on how amazingly insightful and meaningful this instructable has been to you.