Your wood stove or fireplace insert glass can often have a grey or black film over it.This film can often seem 'baked on' and very difficult to remove. While your first reaction may be to grab a wire brush or some harsh chemical cleaners, you don't want to damage your expensive fireplace glass or create a fire hazard. Your best bet for cleaning your glass are things you have right near your fireplace: water, ash and newspaper.
Step 1: Be Safe!
WARNING: Before you begin cleaning your fireplace glass, make sure that your fireplace insert or stove has no smoldering ash. Remember that coals can remain hot for up to 48 hours.
Step 2: Items You Will Need
To clean your fireplace or wood stove glass, get some newspaper (I prefer the non-colored kind), some regular tap water in a pan or bowl, water spray bottle and some paper towels. Then make sure you have your secret ingredient ready: ash from your fireplace.
Step 3: Get to Work!
Fold or crumple your newspaper, dip it in the water and then in the ash. You just need to moisten the newspaper a bit (just damp) and you just need a little ash to stick to the wet newspaper.
Step 4: Scrub Scrub Scrub
Take your dampened newspaper with ash and begin gently rubbing the item on the inside of your fireplace glass. I prefer a circular motion as I find it loosens the soot quicker. You will notice as you clean, your newspaper will turn black and become dirty. Discard that piece of newspaper and get some more, dip it in the water then ash, and repeat as needed. In short order, you will have removed the majority of the 'baked on' soot, and you'll have just a bit left on your glass.
Step 5: Finishing Up
Spray some of the water on the glass and wipe off with a paper towel. Repeat until the paper towels have no black residue, then dry with a clean paper towel.
Step 6: Sit Back and Enjoy!
Look at the clear new glass! You deserve a nice glass of wine by the fire!