Intro: How to Construct the Battle Worn Plasma Rifle
Here is a quick vid i put together also!
Firstly to all you eager 'im gonna rip you to pieces and ignore the be nice policy' commenters
This has been put on instructable before in the form of a slideshow. The only reason i am writing this -ible is for gothic-valentine, who after seeing my slideshow expressed a wish to know how it was made in more detail, luckly for them i had replica parts of all the main elements laying around.
I do not expect this to be a full -ible, more of a guide.
So, lets get to it.
Step 1: The Parts
Ok, here are some pictures of the main parts i used before being put together,
There are 4 main sections
The Oki Toner cartridge, from the digital press at work.
A metal L bracket from my local Wickes store
A 270 degree(i think) hinge, also from my local wickes store.
A Selection of carrogated cardboard,
A role a Industrial strength Double sided Tape (50 GBP worth!)
An also alot of other various bits of rubbish that ive collected from many places!
Step 2: Placing the Parts Together!
Ok, well the pictures explain this the best, so not much to say.
I attached the long metal section to the top of the toner cartridge using one long strip of the DS tape. This stuff can hole 4lbs so dont worry bout it falling apart.
I also decided to saw off the Blue section of the cartridge, and also the annoying little tab at the other end!
Also bend the metal bracket to the right angle for a comfortable handle.
Step 3: Making the Handle!
Ok this is where you have to use you imagination a little.
The handle was made using a stack of the corrigated cardboard (bout 5-6 layers)
I Started by making a template, i did this using paper,
place the paper under the metal section of the handle, and draw a kind of handle shape, as in the pictures.
Also marking where the metal bracket sits
Then cut this shape out of the card, including the slit for the metal section!!!
The cardboard then just slots ontop of the bracket, wrap some tap around here to keep it secure
Finally i added the hinge ontop as in the second photo, again attached with the Super DS tape, and also some super glue.
The third picture is a snapshot from the original plasma rifle build, here it shows the bracket, with the card handle in place. (also with a few extras stuck in place)
Step 4: Adding Lots of Bits a Crap to the Gun.
Ok, now this section is more of a freestyle section, now that you have the main section, you need to bulk it up.
Again pictures do best here. The first picture shows the Original Rifle but with labels of various sections.
The second picture shows another snap shot, this time just before painting it.
Ive also added loads of close up shots showing details throughout.
The handle was also modded using an old Lynx (or Axe to some of you) bottle, i cut off one side, and just stuck it over. the 3rd picture shows a comparison shot.
Step 5: Painting
Ok, again this section lacks detail, what with this being a half-ible.
Basically, i masked off a few sections, like the hinge on the top, and thecd lens, and parts of the trigger.
Then i let loose with the spray paint!
I used Direct to metal spray paint, i always use this as normal spray paint just doesnt hold the same.
(again i got this from my local wickes store)
you can pick any colour scheme, but i recommend a dark colour underneath. As always lots of thin coats works alot better than one heavy coat, TAKE YOUR TIME, and DONT rush it.
Leave it over night.
Ok, an optional way to improve the effect, is to use a method called dry brushing.
Here i basically dabbed some Deep red acrylic paint onto a spare peice of card. Then get a DRY brush, it has to be BONE DRY. and dap a tiny bit onto the brush, then brush this onto which ever sections you want to look 'battle worn' after a while you will get a feel for how much pain, pressure etc.
Again look to the details shots below.
Step 6: Finished!
Well there we are, i hope this is of some use.
This instructable is dedicated to gothic-valentine. whom hopefully will be trying to convert this into a working BB gun!
Enjoy a few more glory shots.
Also, here is the link to my original slideshow which has a few more shots.
Thanks for reading, and as always, any questions just comment!