Intro: How to Cook Moringa Leaves
Moringa Oleifera, commonly known as Drumstick Tree is one of the most cultivated tree in India. you can find a tree or two in almost all households of South India in the backyard. All parts of the tree, mostly the young fruits (Seed pods), leaves and flowers are used in cooking.
This instructable will guide you on how to cook the Moringa leaves to be served as one of the main course.
You can also see my other instructable on how to cook Sambar with Drumstick vegetable at the following link
Step 1: Harvest the Leaves
- If you have a Moringa tree in your backyard, you can always harvest a bunch of fresh leaves. Otherwise buy the green leaves from the Asian markets if available.
- Remove all the stems and collect the green leaves. You can discard the stems or use it to make compost.
Step 2: Boil the Green Leaves
- Wash the green leaves in clean water and transfer to a wide mouthed vessel
- Add enough water to cover the leaves and boil till the leaves become tender.
- Drain the water using a strainer and collect the boiled leaves
In the meantime you can also prepare other ingredients required for cooking
Step 3: Chop Onions
- Remove dry skin from two medium sized onions
- Chop them into pieces and keep aside
Step 4: Grate Coconut
- Take half a coconut and remove the meat from the shell
- Cut the coconut meat into small pieces
- Using a mixer grinder grate the coconuts pieces. Do not add any water
Step 5: Preparation Step 1
- Keep a flat bottomed frying pan over medium flame and add a tablespoon of cooking oil
- Break 2 or 3 dried red chilies and add to the heated oil
- Add chopped onions to the pan and stir fry to a golden brown
Step 6: Preparation Step 2
- Once the onion pieces are fried to a golden brown, add the boiled Moringa leaves to the pan
- Sprinkle salt to taste
- Now add the grated coconut to the pan and mix well
Step 7: Serve With Lunch
- Stir fry the contents till all moisture evaporates from the dish
- Transfer the cooked Moringa leaves to another container and serve with lunch
The Moringa leaves are the most nutritious part of the tree, being a significant source of many vitamins and other essential nutrients. So add this in your diet regularly to have a very healthy life.