Intro: How to Create a Custom Terrarium
Terrariums are great for minimal space and allow a nice pop of life to any space. These are super easy-to-create pieces of decor that require very little maintenance. Making your own terrarium full of lush plants and succulents guarantee improved air quality along with a unique piece of decor.
Step 1: Gather Materials
- 1-5 succulents/plants of all sizes (depending on size of pot): available at home depot, local nurseries, etc.
- 8qt bag of good draining potting soil
- small hand shovel
- spray bottle
- pot of choice: available at container store, small pots available at dollar stores, Walmart, etc.
- decor of choice (sea shells, stones, moss): available in nature, dollar store, craft stores, etc.
- add a layer of pebbles on the bottom of pot for drainage
- remove plants from original container
- place plants in formation of choice in pot (commonly three small plants, one larger and two small...get creative!)
- fill in soil with hand shovel until 1/3 of plant is submerged
- layer pebbles or pea gravel over entire top of soil
- add extra stones, rocks, moss, sand or any other decor (my favorite is adding seashells)
Step 4: Care and Up Keeping
Most varieties of succulents need at least half a day of sunlight. Water once or twice a week by misting plants with a small spray bottle. Brighten up your living space-happy gardening!