Franklin bells, the first device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy in the form of a moving metal piece between two oppositely charged metal Cans. This is a great science experiment that demonstrates and detects electric charge.
Step 1: Watch the Video
The video clearly shows how the set up can be easily made and how well it demonstrates the electric charge. However, you can also visit step 2 for parts list and additional information.
Step 2: Parts List
Step 3: How It's Done
- Pull the top clapper from the metal cans and place the cans adjacent to each other.
- Tie the clapper to a straw using a cotton or polyester thread.
- Connect wires at the top of the metal cans using sticky tape.
- Now, connect one of the wires with the top layer of the mosquito swatter bat. This layer will be positively charged.
- Connect the other wire with the middle layer of the swatter bat.
Caution: Make sure the swatter bat is OFF. Once the circuit is turned ON do not touch the metal cans with hands so as to prevent HIGH VOLTAGE ELECTRIC SHOCK !
- Place the straw over the metal cans such that the clapper is hanging in between the cans. Now, turn ON the circuit and you will be amazed to see the bell ringing furiously.
In case you might have missed, have a look at the video and see how I made the Franklin bells at my home. Perform this Experiment yourself and contact us or share your experiences on our facebook page, twitter and instagram. You can also SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube Channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and creative content.
Thanks For Your Support..!!