Short tutorial on how to do: the Légal trap
the Scholar's mate
the Fool's mate.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Short Summary of How the Pieces Can Move (in Case You Don't Play)
Here's a short summary of how all the pieces can move:
1. The Rook, this is the piece in the corner. It can move as far as it wants, but only horizontally and vertically. (2)
2. The Knight, this is the horse next to the rook. It can move to the closest square that isn't on its vertical, horizontal or diagonal axis. This creates an L-shape (2 horizontal/vertical, 1 diagonal). It also can leap over other pieces. (2)
3. The Bishop, this peace is the 3rth of the bottom row. It can move as far as it wants, but only diagonally. (2)
4. The Queen, this peace is the left of the middle 2. It can move in any direction for as far as it wants. It is the most of value. (1)
5. The King, this peace is the right of the middle 2. It can move in any direction, but for only one square. This peace is the one you'll be targeting/protecting.
Step 2: The Légal Trap
This checkmate is a more complicated one compared to the others. It is less known and, because of that, more effective. It involves getting your Knights on the 5th row (d5, e5) and your bishop close to the king (f7). When it was first used, Légal also made a trap with his queen, to lure the enemy's bishop away. The original consisted of 8, but it can be done in 7 moves.
Step 3: The Scholar's Mate
This is probably the most well known of all three. It consists of bringing your queen to f7 via h5 (or my preference: f3, to make it less recognisable). You bring your bishop to c4. If your opponent didn't use any of the countermoves (not very likely) you win!!! It can be done in 4 moves.
Step 4: The Fool's Mate
This one's pretty simple, but can't be used very much. You can do it when your opponent places the pawn on f2 to f3 and the pawn on g2 to g4. Now you can get your queen to h4 and BOOM checkmate.
Step 5: Ending
Good luck defeating your opponents with these quick checkmates
Participated in the