Thank you for choosing How to Draw a Face Beginner Guide.
You will Need:
A pencil, ruler, and blank paper.
Read all instructions before beginning in order to correctly draw the face.
NOTE: This product is intended to be a starting point in drawing faces, thus is used as a guide for further advanced portrait drawings. Don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't come out perfect, drawing like many other things takes practice.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Dot Time
- Make a starting light dot 3” from top of paper
- Make four light dots 2” left, right, below and above the dot from the middle dot
Step 2: Step 2: Connect the Dots
- Connect the dots from step 1 creating a lightly drawn circle shape
Step 3: Step 3: Bottom of the Chin
- From the middle of the circle use the ruler to measure 4” down and make a light dot.
- Make a 1” light horizontal line, 1/2” on both sides of the dot made
Step 4: Step 4: Jawline
- Connect the ends of the line made from step 4 with the right and left dots made in step 1
Step 5: Step 5: Guide for Eyes
- Lightly draw a line connecting the left and right dot made in step 1
Step 6: Step 6: Such Big Eyes You Have
- Make two 1” almond shaped circles a 1/2” from the mid-line; one to the left and one to the right of mid-line
- Now you have eyes
Step 7: Step 7: Guide for Nose
- Draw two light 1” vertical lines down from the inside point of the eyes
Step 8: Step 8: I Got Your Nose
- Draw two long c shaped objects; one facing the left eye and one the right eye
- Draw two small c’s facing each other on the bottom of the last drawn c’s and
- Draw one c faced upwards in the middle of the second set of c’s
- Connect the middle c and two bottom side c’s with downward facing c’s
- Now you have a nose
Step 9: Step 9: Pathway to the Lip
- Draw two slightly curved outward facing lines under the middle c made in step 8
Step 10: Step 10: Guide for Lips
- Draw a light downward vertical 1 1/2” line from the middle of each eye
- Draw a light downward vertical 1 1/2” line from the middle dot made in step 1
Step 11: Step 11: Making a Lip
- Draw two faced downward curved lines from the middle line made in step 10, one line connecting to the left line and one connecting to the right line
- Connect the two outer lines with a upward facing curved line;
- Draw an upward facing curved line in between the two previous lines.
Step 12: Step 12: Let There Be Chin
- Draw a upward curving line connecting the bottom side curves of the circle made in step 4 with a 1/2” space between the middle of the curve and the middle of the bottom of the circle
- Now you have a chin
Step 13: Step 13: Erase Extra Lines
- Erase the light lines made in step 4, 5, 7, and 10 and the inner bottom part of the circle made in step 2
Step 14: Step 14: Darken Lines
- Darken all the remaining lines