Use of wheat grass as a raw food diet can be traced back to very ancient times. The wheat grass can be used in a dried powder form or as a juice extracted from the young leafy blades. It is believed that intake of raw wheat grass can cleanse the body of toxins and provide proper balance of nutrients.
This instructable will guide you on how to grow wheat grass at home to be used as raw diet
Step 1: Soak Wheat in Water
- Take a handful of raw wheat and soak it in clean water
Step 2: Wash and Add Clean Water
- After a few days you may notice that the water is clouded and become dirty.
- Drain out the clouded water from the pan and add clean water
- After about a week you may notice that the soaked wheat grains have started to germinate
Step 3: Prepare Soil Mix
- Once the wheat grains started to germinate, you can prepare the bed and sow the seeds
- Take equal amounts of normal garden soil, sand & compost (or farm yard manure) in a tray and mix them well
Step 4: Prepare the Planter
- I have selected a planter with lots of drainage holes all around. So, I have covered the inside of the planter with a plastic sheet so that the soil can be retained in the planter and also it can have proper drainage.
- If you are going to use a tray, please make sure it has drainage holes drilled at the sides near the bottom
- Fill the planter with the potting mix we have prepared.
- Keep small amount of potting soil in the tray
Step 5: Sow Germinated Wheat Grains
- Sow the germinated wheat grains on top of the soil in the planter.
- Spread the grains uniformly to cover the planter
- Cover the grains with left-over soil we have kept in the tray
- Water lightly without disturbing the seeds
Step 6: Cover and Allow to Grow
- Cover the planter with a card board or anything suitable and keep the planter in shade
- Within ten days, you may notice that the wheat grains have started to sprout
Step 7: Ant Problem
This is one problem I faced. The pot is full of ants...
- If you face ant problem, do not worry and do not use any chemicals. Just spread talcum powder (yes, the same cosmetic powder used in makeup) around the root of grass and the ants will disappear. You have to do it few times to completely rid of the ants.
- Water the pot regularly
Step 8: Harvest Wheat Grass
- In about a month's time, the grass has grown to about 12 inches tall.
- Harvest a handful of wheat grass using a pair of scissors
- Wash it in clean running water to get rid of soil and any insects present in the grass
- Cut the grass blades into small pieces with the scissors
Step 9: Extract Juice
- Place the harvested wheat grass in a mixer grinder and add about a glass of water.
- You can add little amount of salt if you like
- Grind it to a fine paste and filter out the juice
The wheat grass juice is consumed on an empty stomach. To get full benefit of the juice, you should not take anything else for about an hour after drinking the juice. Start with about 100 ml of juice and you can increase the intake to about a glass per day
Third Prize in the
Gardening Contest 2017