Years ago I got a Bat House and always liked the idea of having my own little Bat Colony to be an all natural bug control for my yard.
I finally decided to put it up, and decided to mount it to my Shed in my Back Yard.
Come follow along as I show you how I did it :)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Supplies
To Hang the Bat House off of the side of the Shed, I would need to install something to push the pole away in order to clear the Soffit.
I decided to use a couple pieces of Treated 2x4 to accomplish this and gathered the rest of my supplies:
- OBC Tripple Chamber Bat House
- Six Treated 2x4 cut to 20 Inches
- Six Lag Bolts 1/4"x5"
- Three U-Bolts 4" Long
- Five Self-Tapping Metal Screws
- One Fence Pole 10'-0" long
- Twelve 1/2" Wood Screws (not pictured)
the Bat House came from Amazon like this one:
Step 2: Prepping the Mounting Boards
I knew that if I wanted to mount this myself I was going to need to prep the boards a lot, to avoid any frustration when I was hanging it. I also needed to create pockets in the 2nd board for the Nut of the U-Bolt to fit into.
- Measure out the middle of each board.
- Mark where the U-Bolt holes will need to be on one Board.
- Clamp two Boards togetherand Drill the holes through both boards.
- Test fit a U-Bolt to make sure it works.
- Repeat for all boards.
As a side note after I took all of these pictures I decided to add some Pilot Holes for the Lag Bolts to make it easier to assemble and hang later (I have pictures of the assembly later on).
Step 3: Attaching the Bat House
To attach the Bat House to the Pole, I used three 7" pieces of Pipe-Straps.
I used the Self-Tapping Metal Screws to attach the straps to the pole, then the wood-screws to attach the straps to the Bat House.
It's a very simple, yet sturdy mounting style.
Step 4: Attaching the Boards and Mounting
I spaced the Boards out along the pole, about a foot apart, and added the U-Bolts.
I then decided to add a piece of Pipe Strap to the bottom of the pipe and around the bottom board for a bit of extra support. I knew the U-Bolts would hold it, but I just wanted to make sure.
I then added the 2nd board and installed the Lag Screws.
It was a little awkward to hang by myself, but it was not very heavy which was good.
I spaced the Lag Screws so that they would sink themselves into the studs of the shed, and get a good stable bite.
My drill would not handle putting the Lag Screws in all of the way, so I had to finish them by hand with a socket-wrench.
Step 5: Finished Product! :)
The Bat House looks great and the Pipe I used for support will guarantee that no critters will get up in there and bother the bats!
All in all, a successful project! :)
Now all I need is some Bats to move in to their new awesome home!!!