We don’t like drilling holes in our van! It could:
- attract rust on bare edges
- spread metal chips all over (almost impossible to remove and will attract rust)
- interfere with the van electronics (!) (follow your manual’s no-drill zones, such as the Ford Transit BEMM)
There is a way to avoid drilling holes... CROSS NUT!
What is a Cross Nut?
It is an insert that you install permanently in an existing hole. Once installed, a bolt can be fastened (and removed) into it. Voilà!
- will not create galvanic corrosion (if your van panels are also made of steel, most likely they are…)
- have impressive pullout strength: 1215lbs (for .030″ thick steel)
- covers a wide grip range (grip = van panel thickness) (for example, the 1/4-20 Cross Nut grip range is .020″ to .280″)
- are quite easy to install with specific tool or DIY tools
- blind installation (no need to have access to both sides of the panel)
- can be installed in plastic or wood as well
Step 1: Tools Required
- Carriage bolt (same type as your Cross Nut. 1/4-20 Cross Nut = 1/4-20 bolt.)
- K-Nut (it’s a nut with an attached, free spinning washer). We found this type of nut will last MUCH longer than a regular nut (a regular nut will last for 1-2 uses only as opposed to 10-15 uses for the K-Nut)
- Box Wrench (or any drilled plate would do. This is just to prevent the Cross Nut from rotating when upsetting)
- Vise Grip
- Wrench (for turning the K-Nut)
Feeling lazy? Head over here for clickable product links: http://faroutride.com/crossnut/
Step 2: This Fender Washer Is Used to Simulate the Van Panel in Our Demonstration...
Step 3: Insert the Cross Nut in the Hole
Step 4: Insert the Box Wrench, K-nut, Carriage Bolt and Secure the Vise-grip to the Carriage Bolt.
Step 5: Upset!
Step 6: Remove the Box Wrench, K-nut and Carriage Bolt. That’s It!
Step 7: This Shows Our Bed Structure Installed Using Cross Nut
(The Cross Nuts are behind the wood structure)
Step 8: Want to Know More?
There are some more hints & tips on our site, such as:
- What Cross Nut size to buy
- Where to buy
- How to transfer to Cross Nut pattern into the structure to be installed (to get a perfect match)
Thanks for reading!