In this instructable, I will show you how to make authentic Spanish Tortilla. Spain has got a lot of good things, great weather, nice people, delicious food, tapas and pinxtos. Especially the tapas are great. Little bites that bridge the gap from lunch to dinner.
The recipe we are making today is authentic Spanish tortilla. You can eat it as tapas but also with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Besides the name and shape it is totally different from a corn tortilla (check out this instructable) or a flour tortilla. The Spanish tortilla also has a round shape but is made with three main ingredients potatoes, onion and eggs. All you need to do is combining the ingredients, a hot pan and some patience. So, lets get started.
A full instruction and printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 350 gram potatoes
- 175 gram onions
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- 8 inch (20 cm) non stick pan
Step 2: Instructions
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly
- Peel onion and slice thinly as well
- Heat olive oil in non stick pan until nice and hot
- Add the potatoes and onion to the oil
- Boil (100℃ / 210℉) for about 20 to 25 minutes until potatoes and onion are nice and soft. Turn regularly to prevent mixture from going brown. Keep the heat down to prevent potatoes from frying.
- Drain mixture. Preserve the oil for future use.
- Whisk the eggs and add some salt (not required).
- Add the potato mix and stir some more.
- Heat non stick pan again and add some oil.
- Put tortilla mixture in the pan and swirl the pan. Cook 6 to 7 minutes until the egg mixture is set.
- Take the tortilla out of the pan and put the baked side on a plate. Turn the pan and close it on top of the tortilla as a lid. Turn the plate and pan together to turn the egg in the pan.
- Cook the other side for another 6 to 7 minutes.
Step 3: Notes
Eat it warm or let it cook. You can store the tortilla in an air tight container in the frig for about two days but recommended to eat it straight away.
Spanish tortilla is a versatile dish. You can add the following options to create your own variations:
- Crushed Garlic
- Serrano ham
- Pata negra
- Iberico ham