Introduction: How to Make Calendula Ointment
Nature is full of beneficial ingredients for all our needs. One amazing plant that we can easily find now in spring, is Calendula. Just take a walk around nature and look for this small yellow or orange flower. It's Latin classification is Calendula arvensis (wild) or Calendula officinalis.
It is widely used externally because of its amazing properties for the skin, therefore, calendula ointment is a product that should not be missing from our medicine cabinets.
It has many uses:
-It Is very beneficial for dry skin and chapped lips
-It helps wounds heal
-It Is good for skin inflammation, insect bites and rashes
-It helps the skin heal from sunburns and other skin burns. It also helps skin regrowth to diminish scar formation.
And for parents....
-It is a natural way to treat diaper rash!
(Find out much more on the amazing properties of calendula here: http://jocpr.com/vol3-iss4-2011/JCPR-2011-3-4-655...
The ointment is made in two stages. First, we make calendula oil which can be used as is. In step 2 we will turn the infused oil into an ointment in order to avoid oily stains on our clothes and to add some extra nutritious ingredients for the skin!
So here are both recipes:
Step 1: HOW TO MAKE CALENDULA OIL
1/4 cup calendula flowers
1/2 cup pure olive oil
1 cheesecloth or strainer
1 glass jar & lid
1. Put the flower heads in a glass jar
2. Cover them with the olive oil
3. Seal jar and leave on a sunny windowsill for 4-5 weeks. Shake the jar regularly (just give it a shake whenever you pass by). The olive oil will change and will turn into a golden colour.
4. 4-5 weeks later: Pour the mixture through the cheesecloth to filter our any solid bits
5. Pour the oil into a jar and seal. Store it out of direct sunlight.
If you need it sooner, there is a shortcut. You can very gently heat the calendula flower heads in the olive oil for at least 3 hours in a Bain Marie. After it will be ready to use.
Step 2: CALENDULA OINTMENT
120 ml calendula oil
30 ml beeswax
10 or more drops of 100% pure lavender
essential oil (optional)
1 glass jar
1. Put the calendula oil in a Bain Marie on a low heat and add the beeswax. Heat until the beeswax is melted.
2. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the 10 drops of lavender essential oil
3. Mix well
4. Pour in jar and seal. The cooler it gets the thicker it will become.
Please subscribe to our channel here:
Please subscribe to our newsletter here: