Intro: How to Make Chinese Steamed Buns
In this instructable I will show you how you can make Chinese steamed buns. You can buy steamed buns in a good Toko but you can also easy make them yourself. These steamed buns can be filled with for example spicy beef, chicken, pork, shrimps or tempeh, whatever you like.
What makes this recipe so unique is that this dough is baked in a steamer instead of an oven. With the warm air the dough will rise and get nice and fluffy. To make sure it gets this fluffy you need to knead the dough for at least 8 minutes and get all the gluten going.
You can make the dough with a mixer but as mine is not strong enough I used my trusted kitchen machine. After all the ingredients have been thoroughly combined I also knead it a couple of minutes by hand before I let it proof for at least an hour and let is double in size. Then roll the dough and take 3,5 inch circles en press them closed like a taco. You can also put your finished filling in before steaming. Cover it with plastic foil to let it proof for an additional 30 minutes. Put some parchment paper in the steamer and steam about 5 buns at the time. If you have a bigger steamer you can add more buns. Close the lid and steam the buns for 5 minutes.
It is just like magic when you open the lid and see these Chinese buns that are soft and fluffy and airy. Open the bun and fill it with your favorite meat, poultry or vegetable filling. You will love it I promise.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the Chinese steamed buns? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1½ tablespoon Sugar
- ¾ cup (soy) milk (175 ml)
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ tablespoon vegetable butter, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil for oiling bowl, brushing bun dough
Step 3: Instructions
- Warm the vegetable butter and dissolve the yeast into the warm butter and milk.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to taste.
- Pour butter and milk mixture into a kitchen machine. Add a couple tbsp. of flour.
- Mix and add all of the flour mix. Knead for at least 8 minutes and 2 minutes by hand.
- Let the dough proof for at least 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Roll the dough and cut 3,5 inch circles and fold into tacos. Press the end of the folded taco with a rolling-pin.
- Proof for another 30 minutes.
- Heat water. Put buns in the steamer and steam for 5 minutes.
- Ready to fill with spicy soy pork and serve.
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.