A wonderful tasting dish with a pleasant aroma in which rice is cooked in coconut milk. The whole preparation takes about 1-1/2 hours including extracting milk. You do not require any sides with the coconut milk rice and eat it as it is.
Please go through the step-by-step instructions on how to cook Coconut Milk Rice
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
The quantities of ingredients mentioned here will serve 4 to 5 people
- About 300 grams of parboiled rice. You can use any type of rice
- One coconut. If it is a larger one use 3/4th of the coconut
- One large sized onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 10 to 12 Garlic cloves
- Handful of Mint leaves
- Handful of Coriander leaves
- 3 to 4 Green chillies
- One inch long piece of Ginger
- One to two teaspoons of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Few sticks of Cinnamon
- 3 to 4 Bay leaves
- 6 to 7 Cloves
- One full piece of Star Anise
- 3 to 4 Cardamom pods
- Handful of dried sea weeds (It is a type of spice we use in South Indian cooking)
Step 2: Rinse and Clean Rice
- Rinse the rice in water 3 to 4 times till water runs clean from the rice and keep aside
Step 3: Prepare Ingredients
- Finely chop onion and tomatoes
- Split the green chillies in halves
- Finely chop mint and coriander leaves
- Break cinnamon sticks, Star anise into pieces
- Break open the Cardamom pods and remove seeds. Do not throw away the skin.
Step 4: Ginger Garlic Paste
- Remove ginger skin and shuck garlic
- Place them in a mixer grinder and make paste. I have added a spoonful of milk for making a fine paste
Step 5: Make Coconut Milk
- Break open the coconut and remove coconut meat from the shell
- Add the sliced coconut meat with water in a mixer grinder and grind to a fine paste
- Using a cheese cloth, filter out the coconut milk. You can extract milk 2 to 3 times from coconut meat
We need about 1200 ml of Coconut milk (@400 ml per 100 gram of rice)
Step 6: Preparation Step 1
- Place a 5 litre capacity pressure cooker over medium flame and add 2 to 3 teaspoons of ghee
- When the ghee melts, add the spices like Cinnamon,Star Anise, Cloves, Cardamom, Bay leaves and dried sea weeds.
- Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves to the cooker and stir-fry for few seconds
Step 7: Preparation Step 2
- Now add chopped onions, Ginger-Garlic paste and split green chillies to the cooker and stir-fry till onion turns into golden brown
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt to taste. Mix well and saute till tomato pieces mix with other ingredients
Step 8: Preparation Step 3
- Add the cleaned rice to the cooker and mix with other ingredients
Step 9: Preparation Step 4
- Measure and add coconut milk to the cooker. Do not add more as the finished rice will be watery
- Mix all ingredients together with coconut milk and keep on medium flame till the mix starts boiling
- Now cover the cooker with lid and pressure cook for about 7 to 8 minutes. In our cooker we cook for three whistles, that is three times release of pressure from the cooker.
Step 10: Serve Hot
- Once pressure-cooking is over, remove the cooker from stove and allow the pressure to come to normal
- When pressure is normal, open the lid and transfer the Coconut Milk Rice to a serving bowl
Serve hot. You do not require any sides with the coconut milk rice as it has a wonderful taste with pleasant aroma.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017