Introduction: How to Make Corn Tortillas 3 Ingredients and Gluten Free
In this instructable, I will show you how to make Corn Tortillas with three ingredients and gluten free. A full instruction and downloadable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
The tortilla is the base of the Mexican kitchen but also an egg dish in the Spanish kitchen. I have found that just about any culture has it’s own tortilla. That is why you can’t go wrong with a “tortilla”.
I always used store bought tortillas thinking it would be either to difficult or take to much time to make them from scratch. Until I found how easy it is to make my own corn tortillas. Ok they may not look the same as store bought ones or taste the same (they taste better in my opinion). The best part is you can use them as a base for other recipes think tacos or tortilla chips.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
For corn tortillas you have to use special corn flour which is called Masa Harina. You should not confuse it with polenta flour or cornstarch. Masa Harina can be white or yellow. I bought the white variety but the yellow is even nicer with the happy color. As soon as you open the packet you smell taco making preparing even better. I found the flower online and it is also available in several varieties at Amazon.com.
Besides the right flour it is also important to have a tortilla press or use a rolling pin. Put some plastic between the press and remove the dough as soon as you press else it can be more difficult to get them out. Either lay them apart or press just before you put the tortilla in a hot pan.
Step 2: Instructions
- Put the 2 cups of Masa Harina in a bowl.
- Add the salt to the bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup of hot water and stir again with a wooden spoon before adding the additional half cup of hot water.
- Knead the dough into a consistent ball.
- Cover with a towel.
- Rest the dough for 1 hour.
- Create balls the size of a golf bal.
- Heat a large pan.
- Cover the tortilla press with plastic and press the tortilla.
- Cook the tortilla on medium to high heat for about 1 minute until the tortillas get some color. Turn and heat the other side of the tortilla for also 1 minute.
- Store in a tortilla warmer or keep in a cloth.
Step 3: Notes
Make sure the water is hot to properly activate the Masa Harina. I use a non stick pan to cook the tortillas without any oil or butter. You can store the torillas in a ziplock plastic bag in the refrigerator for about 1 week or in the freezer. You can heat them in a pan or in the microwave using a ziplock bag or cloth to cover them.
Step 4: Watch the One Minute Video
1 Person Made This Project!
- thetortillachannel made it!