In this instruction I show you how to make crispy corn tacos. Tacos are the ultimate comfort food. When you master making these crispy crunchy corn tacos a world of cooking opportunities will open up. And what is not to love about them? Imagine how they will marinate the air in your kitchen and flavour it with that delicious smell of roasting corn. Who doesn’t love the smell of tacos in the oven? Some nice beef chili on the stove while the tacos are getting all nice and crisp. Tacos go with just about anything and they are gluten free and low fat.
The base ingredient of corn tacos is corn tortillas. We explained how to make corn tortillas in our first instructable. If you have not made corn tortillas before, please follow this instructable to make your own corn tortillas. If you have made fresh corn tortillas put them in a tortilla warmer or a fresh kitchen towel and let them slowly cool off before you further use them. The warmth of the corn tortillas will steam them a little to make them nice and flexible.
Beside (homemade) corn tortillas you only need cooking spray and an oven. To give the tortillas the shape of a taco I fold them on a grill rack. To prevent them from losing their shape I use a backing tray underneath the grill rack to hold them up a little.
For more information and printable recipe take a look at The Tortilla Channel.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 4 (homemade) corn tortillas. You can make the corn tortillas by following this instructable)
- cooking spray
- baking tray
- grill rack
Step 2: Instructions
- Pre heat the oven at 400 ℉/ 200 ℃.
- Take a lightly warm corn tortilla.
- Spray the cooking spray on the corn tortilla.
- Turn and spray the other side of the corn tortilla.
- Fold the corn tortilla and use the grill rack to hold the taco.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes until nice crispy and brown.
Step 3: Notes
I put a baking tray underneath the grill rack to lift the tacos up a little so they can keep their shape.
You can stuff the tacos with different fillings, e.g.:
- Minced beef
- Pulled chicken bean stew (see instructable)
- Shrimp and paprika
- Cod and vegetable stir fry
- Roasted vegetables and greens