In this instructable I will show you how you can make traditional Dutch oliebollen. Oliebollen are a Dutch treat that is eaten a lot at New Year. We eat them in the morning with some coffee or thea or in the evening with a glass of Champagne. They are easy to make and super delicious.
The oliebollen are made with the following ingredients: flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, milk, egg, currants, raisins and oil for frying.
Put the currants and raisins in water and leave it over night. Drain and pad dry them before use. What is important is to use a new packet of yeast and combine the yeast, sugar and 100ml of luke warm milk. This mixture should start to rise/bubble a bit before you add it to the flour. This usually takes a couple of minutes.
Then add the remainder of the milk, the beaten egg and salt. Stir through thoroughly to cover all of the flour. Now it is time for the currants and the raisins. Stir them through the batter as well. This batter should proof for at least an hour. Cover it with a wet tea towel and store in a warm area.
The oliebollen are fried in vegetable oil. Make sure that the oil is at least 370℉/180℃ warm. You can check if the temperature is right if you put a piece of bread in the oil and it start to fry immediately.
Take a gravy spoon or a big ice scoop and a spoon. Create a ball and fry the oliebol in about 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown. Drain on some kitchen paper. Decorate with icing sugar and serve immediately. This recipe yields about 12 to 14. If you want to preserve some of the oliebollen you can store them in the freezer.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the traditional Dutch oliebollen? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make 12-14 oliebollen you need the following ingredients:
- 300 gram flour
- 270 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 7 gram of dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 25 gram currants
- 40 gram raisins
- 1½ litre vegetable oil
Step 3: Instructions
- Leave the currants and raisins in water over night. Drain before use and pad dry.
- Warm 100 ml milk until it is luke warm. After the yeast and sugar are put together add the milk and stir.
- The mixture should start to bubble and rise a bit. This takes a couple of minutes.
- Sieve the flour and add yeast mixture, now add the remainder of the milk, the beaten egg and the salt.
- Stir through until all the flour is covered. Then add the currants and raisins mix again.
- Proof for at least one hour.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan.
- Take to spoons or an ice scoop and make ball of dough and drop them in the oil. Make 3 to 5 at a time to not crowd the pan.
- It will take about 5 to 7 minutes to fry the oliebollen.
- Decorate with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Step 4: Notes
The oliebollen can also be filled apple, banana or chocolate chips. Or even made savory with salmon, bacon or ham.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.