In this instructable I will show you how you can make a nice tortilla soup. This soup is very easy to make and most likely you do not have to go shopping for this recipe as a lot of ingredients are regular pantry essentials.
As it is a tortilla soup you start with warming a tortilla. Brush your tortilla with some olive oil and put it in the oven at 350 ℉. Leave the tortilla in the oven for about 8 minutes.
The basis of this soup is vegetables. Beside diced bell pepper, onion and garlic I add some minced ginger to the vegetable mix. To give this soup some kick I add half of a small jalapeño pepper diced. Normally I would add some vegetable stock cube but in this case that is not necessary.
Now it is time for some tomatoes. I use canned Roma tomatoes. Add them to the pan and crush the tomatoes. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and add 1 to 2 cups of water. If you like a rustic soup with chunks of tomato add one cup of water like a more liquid soup add 1,5 to 2 cups of water. Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
Take the tortilla out of the oven and slice into small strips and pieces. Divide the soup over two bowls. Decorate with some crunchy corn on top, some pieces of tortilla, slices of avocado and sun dried-tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to know you can make this super easy tortilla soup? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 1 tortilla
- 1 can of Roma tomatoes
- ½ diced bell pepper
- ½ diced onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 dime size piece of ginger finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño pepper diced
- 1 half cup of crispy corn
- 6 slices of sun-dried tomato
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ avocado sliced
Step 3: Instructions
- Heat the oven at 350 F 175 C.
- Brush tortilla with olive oil. Non vegans can sprinkle shredded Mozzarella on the tortilla before putting it into the oven for 8 minutes.
- Heat a small soup pan and add two table spoons of olive oil. Sauté the bell peppers, onion, ginger, jalapeño and garlic until soft.
- Add the can of tomatoes and squash them fine.
- Let it simmer for about 5 couple of minutes.
- Add a cup of water if you like the soup to be chunky or 2 cups of water if you like it more liquid.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Cut the tortilla into small pieces.
- Take soup from the furnace and decorate with crispy corn, pieces of tortilla, sun-dried tomatoes and slices of avocado.
- Serve immediately
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.