Introduction: How to Make Fluffy Pita Bread
In this instructable I will show you how you can make pita bread. If you follow the steps in this instructable you will get fluffy, soft and delicious pita bread that can’t go wrong. I love pita bread. You can eat it with shoarma, gyros or a mix of vegetables, or like a sandwich or as a hamburger bun. So what are you waiting for? Lets get started!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Overview
One of the secrets to perfect pita bread is yeast. Use a new packet of to be sure the can proof the dough. For this perfect bread I make a separate yeast mixture and combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. The warm water will activate the yeast and you will see the water mixture bubble slightly.
In a separate bowl combine all purpose flour and wheat flour which is the perfect mix to make perfect pita bread. The wheat flour helps the dough become nice and fluffy. Knead it for at least 10 minutes and let it proof in an oiled bowl for at least one hour in a warm spot. Cut into 8 equal pieces and roll into 8 inch circle of about ¼ inch thick. Let the pita bread proof for another 25 minutes under some plastic wrap and a wet cloth.
Heat the oven at 500℉ and if you have a pizza stone pre heat the stone as well. I do not have a pizza stone but I do have a stone grill so I use it to bake pita bread. When the oven is preheated do not put the pita bread in the oven right away. Let the oven run for at least 10 minutes before you put the pita in the oven.
When the dough is proofed pick up a pita and turn it upside down before you put them on the pizza stone. The pita will bake evenly and the top and bottom pita wall will be just a thick. I can fit two pita bread on my stone and put them in the oven. Bake between 3 to 4 minutes. Because you let the oven warm a little longer the bread will puff up from the first pita bread. If you do not let the oven warm a little bit longer it will take the first pita longer to cook.
Store the pita in a kitchen towel. Putting them in a kitchen towel will prevent the pita from drying out. Heat a castor iron skillet and char every pita in about half a minute per side. Serve or let them cool and store them in a zip loc bag in the freezer.
Step 2: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the perfect pita bread? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make 8 pita breads you need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2¼ teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water, 105–110℉
Step 4: Instructions
- Put yeast, sugar in a small bowl and add warm water. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt. Then add yeast mixture, olive oil and the remaining water together. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Put on a floured surface and knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes until it becomes a smooth, elastic dough. Make a big ball.
- Oil the bowl with olive oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover the dough with olive oil as well. Put some cling film on the bowl and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it through on a floured surface. Cut into 8 pieces and roll them into 8 inch pita of about ¼ thick. Cover with cling film and a wet towel and let it proof for another 25 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 500℉ and pre-heat a pizza stone as well. Let the oven heat an additional 10 minutes to make it extra hot. You need the heat the puff the pita.
- Pick up a pita and turn it upside down on the pizza stone before you put it in the oven. Let it bake between 3 to 4 minutes. Do not over bake or it will go dry.
- Take the pita(s) out of the oven and store them in a dishcloth while you bake the other pita breads.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat. Char one pita at a time in the skillet for about 30 seconds per side. Cover in a towel until all pitas are charred.
- Serve immediately.
Step 5: Notes
You can store the pita breads in a zip loc bag in the freezer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.