In this instructable I will show you how you can make fried sugared bread. It is a simple, easy and delicious recipe. It requires just 6 ingredients and can be done in 20 minutes. Great for Sunday breakfast or a sweet lunch. It's a vegan bread that you can make sweet but also savory.
This recipe is a family favorite. We eat it with a little sugar after the bread is fried which I’m showing in this recipe. However feel free to swap the sugar for jam, syrup, icing sugar or cut it open and put some jam in the center.
To make this bread you combine the flour, baking powder and salt. If you want a sweet bread you can add a tablespoon of sugar. Add water and vegetable oil and mix it into a dough. Now knead the dough for 5 minutes until you get an elastic dough.
Cut the dough into five equal pieces and knead some more. Role into a small round shape and make a hole in the middle. Now heat the oil in a frying pan and you can fry the bread in about a minute. Do not leave it in the oil to long because it with get to hard on the outside. Put it in some granulate sugar and you are ready to serve.
Step 1: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the fried sugared bread? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make 5 breads you need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup of Sugar
Step 3: Instructions
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt int a bowl. Mix together.
- Add the water and oil.
- Stir into a dough and knead into a elastic dough.
- Cut into 5 equal pieces.
- Flatten each and roll into a pancake. Make a hole in the center.
- Heat a large frying pan and fill it with a generous layer of oil.
- Fry the breads in about 30 seconds, turn and fry the other side until golden brown. The bread will be done in less than a minute.
- Remove excess oil on a paper towel before you roll the bread in a plate of sugar.
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortill Channel.