Introduction: How to Make Greek Gyros
In this instructable I will show you how you can make Greek gyros. It's a simple but tasty recipe where you can’t go wrong with. You can eat this Greek gyros with store-bought pita bread or with homemade pita bread, which I shown in my previous instructable
I make this recipe with pork shoulder but it can be made with chicken as well. I start with slicing the meat very thin. This way the spices can penetrate the meat and gives it more flavor.
For the marinate I use the following spices: cumin, paprika powder, chili powder. garlic powder, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. To make it into a marinate I add some olive oil to the spices and them stir it through the meat. Then put it in the fridge so it can marinate.
Then heat a baking pan with olive oil and pan fry the gyros then add some onion, bell pepper, garlic and some water. Now you can let the meat simmer for half an hour. Add some water if required.
While the meat is simmering you can heat the pita bread in a skillet for a couple of minutes or you can heat the oven. Wrap the pita bread in aluminium foil and heat the oven at 350℉/175℃ and warm for 5 to 7 minutes.
To finish it up, make a sauce with some Greek yoghurt, finely chopped garlic and some parsley. Plate it up and serve.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the Greek gyros? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make Greek gyros for 4 persons you need the following ingredients:
- 400 g pork shoulder filet
- 1 white onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of water
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika powder
- Pinch of hot Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- Pinch of hot Chili powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
4 pita bread (you can make homemade pita breads by following my previous instructable)
The sauce is made with the following ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of Parsley
Step 3: Instructions
- Cut the pork shoulder in thin strips.
- Put all the spices in a small bowl and stir before adding 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir into a marinate and add to the pork shoulder.
- Combine the pork shoulder and marinate and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Then heat a large pan with olive oil and pan fry the gyros on high heat. Then add the white onion, red pepper and garlic. Stir and let it go soft before you add water to the pan.
- Simmer for 30 minutes and add water if required.
- Heat the pita bread in a skillet for a couple of minutes or you can heat the oven (wrapped in aluminium foil in oven at 350℉/175℃ for 5 to 7 minutes).
- Make a sauce with the Greek yoghurt, finely chopped garlic and parsley.
- Open the pita bread put gyros in the bread, add some red onion and sauce. Serve immediately
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.