The Haitian beet salad is a traditional salad you can easily find at every Haitian household on holidays. Specially Thanksgiving. Outside of holidays,some household choose to make it on Sundays, cookout, graduation parties, wedding etc.., and you can now find it at Haitian restaurants. Some people add some other ingredients to their liking but the main ingredients are carrot, potato and beets.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gathering the Ingredients
- salt or season (to taste)
- pepper or hot sauce (to taste)
The quantity of ingredients you will need is depending on how many people you think you will have to feed. I for example used 2 carrots, 2 potatoes, and 1 beet. I already knew that would be enough for my household.
Step 2: Gathering the Tools
- 1 small bowl
- 1 big bowl
- a spatula (wood or plastic)
- a small spoon
- a knife
- a pot
Step 3: Boiling the Ingredients
- put water in the pot
- add the beet and let it boil for 5 minutes
- Add the carrots and potatoes
- Let everything boiling for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender
- use a kitchen towel to handle the pot to drain the hot water out
- Allow everything to cool off for 5 minutes or in cold water
- Peel everything after they done cooling down including the onion the same size in the big bowl
dice everything including the onion the same size in the big bowl
Be very careful when lifting the pot . It will be very hot. Also when dicing the ingredients watch your fingers.If you have shaky hands, I suggest you use a cutting board.
Step 4: Mixing All the Ingredients
- stir the carrot, beet, onion, and the potato until thoroughly combined
- Add the mayonnaise using the small spoon(1 1/2 cup) stir until thoroughly combined
- Add salt or seasoning to taste
- Add pepper or hot sauce to taste
- Stir everything until thoroughly combined
Step 5: Finish
Serve hot or cold.
There is no right way to make the Haitian beet salad as long as you use all the main ingredients.