Introduction: How to Make Healthier Protein Cake Donuts
In this instructable I will show you how you can make healthier donuts. These donuts are healthier because I exclude fat sources like butter and regular sugar and substitute them with healthier options, and I add extra proteins to them. You can eat this donuts as a morning or afternoon snack with tea or coffee, or you can eat them after you have worked out in the gym.
To make the donuts healthier:
- I use cake flour that doesn’t contain added sugar
- I substitute the butter for apple sauce
- I substitute the castor sugar for a mix of ⅔ of coconut sugar and ⅓ of castor sugar. Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index that will not spike your blood sugar. Which doesn’t result in a sugar high or craving.
- I add one scoop of protein powder (chocolate flavor)
- I add chocolate nibs instead of chocolate teardrops that contain Sugar.
Substituting these ingredients doesn’t have a negative effect on taste I can assure you. If you want you can glaze the donuts. Take 1 tablespoon icing sugar and combine with 1 teaspoon of milk and you get a white glaze.
This recipe yields 7 big donuts you can make them into muffins which will yield you 12 in total.
Step 1: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the healthier protein cake donuts? Then watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make 7 donuts you need the following ingredients:
- 250 gram of cake flour
- 50 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 200 gram of apple sauce (unsweetened if possible)
- 100 gram of coconut sugar
- 40 gram of castor sugar
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- ½ cup of chocolate nibs
Step 3: Instructions
- Put the apple sauce in a big bowl. Add the castor and coconut sugar to the bowl and stir well.
- Add the first egg and stir until totally emerged in the batter before adding the second egg.
- Gradually stir the cake flour and milk into the batter. Stir thoroughly to avoid lumps.
- Then add the protein powder and stir into the mix.
- Lastly add the chocolate nibs.
- Pre heat the oven to a 360℉/175℃.
- Scoop the batter in a donut mold and bake the donuts 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the mold for a couple of minutes before removing the donut.
- Glaze by whisking 1 tbsp of icing sugar with 1 tsp of milk. Drizzle on top of the donut.
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortill Channel.