Intro: How to Make Italian Piadina Sandwich
In this instructable I will show you how you can make a piadina. Piadina is an Italian recipe that you can make for lunch. I like to eat piadina with Parma ham and mozzarella, but you can also eat it with other savory toppings (like chicken and vegetables) or with sweet toppings (like jam or Nutella). Just like with bread choose what you like best.
Just like with tortilla the basic ingredients for this Italian flatbread are: flour, water and a pinch of salt. Further this recipe contains olive oil and a little bit of baking soda to make the Piadina soft and fluffy. Just like focaccia or ciabatta this Piadina is a little thicker than a regular tortilla and more like a bread.
Step 1: Watch One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the Italian piadinat? Then watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make four piadinas you need the following ingredients:
- 200 g wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 30 ml olive oil
- 80 ml warm water
For the topping I use the following ingredients, but you can also use other toppings if you want:
- 4 slices of Parma ham
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup of sun-dried tomatoes 1 cup of rucola
Step 3: Instructions
- Put flour and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add the water and olive oil and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Knead about 10 minutes into an elastic dough.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll the dough into a piadina.
- Pre-heat a skillet and bake the piadina 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- For the topping: Put shredded mozzarella on one half of the piadina. Add a slice of Parma ham, sun-dried tomatoes and some rucola.
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortill Channel.