Intro: How to Make Kichdi
In Gujarat, khichdi is rice cooked with turmeric to make it yellow adding vegetables and other spices is optional, it is served mixed with kadhi, a thin sauce made from gram flour, curry leaves, cumin, and mustard seeds. It can also be served with chass (Buttermilk) and eaten as an evening meal. Kichdi with only turmeric and salt is the best meal when a person is sick it can be easily digestible.
Tools needed are: Pressure cooker Pan to sauté vegetables (optional) Knife
• 1 cup rice
• 1/2 cup dal (lentils) (mung dal) (optional)
• 3-4 cups water • 1 onions (medium size), finely chopped
• 2 green chilies
• 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
• 1 potatoes (medium size), chopped into cubes
• 1/2 cup green peas and carrots (fresh or frozen)
• ½ cup sweetcorn (fresh or frozen)
• 1/2-1 tsp turmeric powder
• 2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
• 2 tbsp. oil
• 2 tsp mustard seeds
• 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• 1tsp garam masala
• pinch of hing (asafetida)
• a few curry leaves(optional)
• Salt to taste
• For the topping: 2–3 tablespoon (29.6–44.4 ml) ghee, 1 tsp cumin seed, 2 red chilies, 6-8 cloves of finely-chopped garlic.
Step 1: 1 Cook Rice and Dal
*Wash the rice and dal. Rinse the rice and dal in a strainer thoroughly(2 or 3 times) , then the place the rice and dal on the side for 10 min.
Step 2: 2 Heat Ghee.
*if you prefer, you can use an equivalent amount of oil instead of ghee.
Use a medium-size pressure cooker,about 3 liters(0.79 gal).
*Add mustard seeds and 1 ½ teaspoons of cumin seeds.Once
they start to sizzle(brownish color), proceed to the next step.
*Add curry leaves and hing(asofetida). (sauté for 2-3 seconds)
Step 3: Add Vegetables
*Add garlic and onions. (sauté
for 2-3 minutes)
*Add potatoes, peas, carrots, sweetcorn, etc. (sauté for 2-3 minute)
* Add red, green, yellow peppers
Step 4: Add Spices
*Add the turmeric, chili powder, and garam masala. Stir together and sauté for 2-3 seconds.
Step 5: Add Soaked Rice and Dal
*Add the soaked rice and dalwith water and sauté for few seconds.
* Add salt and taste bring the mixture to a boil.
Step 6: Cook Kichdi
*Close the pressure cooker
and bring the stove to a medium heat let the cooker whistles 2-3 times.
*Let the cooker cool down for 5-10 minutes.
*Mix the kichdi well and serve it.