This is the mango season and we get lots of raw mangoes from the home garden. Normally we use the raw mangoes to make pickles. Here I have tried my hands on cooking raw mangoes with rice and the outcome is the super delicious Mango Rice.
Please go through the instructable on how to make Mango Rice. The quantities of ingredients taken here will serve about 4 people.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- One raw Mango
- 2 Medium sized Onions
- 5 to 6 Garlic cloves
- One inch long piece of Ginger
- 2 to 3 Green chillies
- 2 Tomatoes
- Bunch of Mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Handful of Curry leaves
- One teaspoon of Mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils
- One teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- Half a teaspoon of Asafoetida powder
- 2 to 3 Dried Red chillies
- One teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- 2 cups of Rice
- 2 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil
Spices in small quantities (Optional)
- Star Anise
- Cardamon pods
Step 2: Grate the Raw Mango
- Cut both ends of raw mango and peel off the skin
- Grate the mango and take about one cup of it
Step 3: Prepare Ingredients
- Finely chop the onions
- Dice the tomatoes into small pieces
- Shuck Garlic and remove ginger skin
- Make Ginger Garlic paste using a mixer grinder
- Split Green Chillies in halves
Step 4: Preparation Step 1
- Heat a frying pan over medium flame and add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the oil
- Break the spices like cloves, star anise, cinnamon and cardamom pods into pieces and add to the oil
- Break the dried Red chillies into pieces and add to the oil
- Add handful of curry leaves and split green chillies to oil and saute for few seconds
Step 5: Preparation Step 2
- Add chopped onions and Ginger-Garlic paste to the pan and stir fry till raw smell disappears
- Add handful of mint leaves and mix well
Step 6: Preparation Step 3
- Once the raw smell from onions and ginger-garlic paste disappears, add the chopped tomatoes to the pan
- Cook till water content evaporates from the mix and oil starts oozing out at sides
- Now add the grated raw mango to the pan and mix well
- You can add little amount of salt to the mix. Most people add salt while cooking rice also, so take care not to add too much of salt to the mix
Step 7: Cook Rice
- In the mean time, you can also cook the rice in a pressure cooker and keep aside till the pressure drops to normal.
- Here, the rice should be slightly under-cooked, other wise it will make a paste-like mix with the ingredients in the pan.
Step 8: Mix Cooked Rice With Ingredients in the Pan
- Take 2 cups of cooked rice and add to the ingredients in the frying pan.
- Mix everything together over low flame
- Once it is properly mixed, transfer to a serving bowl
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot
No side dishes are required with the Mango rice. However you can use potato chips or fried crispies with it. This dish is also good for taking along during outings / picnic with children
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017