Intro: How to Make Potato and Sausage Burritos
If you're looking for a simple, hearty dish, you've come to the right place. This recipe takes a midwestern dish and puts a Mexican twist on it. Potato and sausage burritos is great for when you're cooking for a lot of people. This recipe serves 6 to 8 but can be scaled to any number of people. As long as you feel comfortable cooking with oil you should have no problem making this dish. From start to finish, this recipe takes about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to make.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients and Cooking Utensils
1. Gather the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs of sage sausage
- 5 lbs of russet potatoes
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 jar of sour cream
- Flour tortillas (Any size, 1-2 per person)
- Seasoning salt
- Mexican style cheese
- Olive or canola oil
2. Gather the following Cooking Utensils:
- Electric skillet
- Cutting knife
- Potato peeler
- Medium sized pan
Step 2: Prepare the Potatoes
1. Peel the potatoes.
Tip: Do this in the sink or over a bowl to make disposal of the skin easier.
2. Rinse the potatoes in cold water.
3. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
Note: You can make the cubes bigger or smaller, depending on personal preference.
Step 3: Brown the Sausage
1. Put the skillet on medium heat.
2. Put a splash of olive oil on the skillet.
WARNING: When heated, olive oil can splatter and cause severe burns if it comes into contact with your skin. To avoid getting burned use a long spatula and keep your distance when you can.
3. Place the sausage on the skillet and break up into little chunks.
4. Keep cooking until the sausage is lightly browned.
CAUTION: Be sure not to cook the sausage too long as it will be cooked more later on.
Step 4: Cook the Potatoes.
1. Move the sausage over to one side of the skillet.
2. Add the potatoes to the other side, keeping them separate from the sausage.
3. Sprinkle the seasoning salt over the potatoes.
4. Stir the potatoes, making sure they stay separate from the sausage.
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to make sure you cover all the potatoes with seasoning.
6. Mix the potatoes and sausage together.
7. Cover the skillet.
8. Continue cooking on medium heat for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked. Stir Occasionally.
CAUTION: As the time approaches 30 minutes, be sure to keep an eye on the potatoes so you don't burn them.
9. Turn the skillet off.
Step 5: Create Your Burrito
1. Set pan on medium heat.
2. When hot enough, heat tortilla on pan.
3. Place one of the tortillas on a plate.
4. Put down a layer of sour cream on the tortilla.
5. Add the potatoes and sausage.
6. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the potatoes and sausage.
7. Add salsa.
8. Use a fork to make sure all the food is centered on the torilla.
9. fold over both ends so they meet in the middle.
Note: The ends may not touch depending on how much of each item you added.
10. Fold one of the two remaining open sides over to the other one and roll the tortilla.
11. Repeat for however many burritos you want!
Congratulations! You have successfully made a dish that the whole family can enjoy. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be easily altered to cater to your preferences. If you don't like burritos, the potato and sausage mix tastes just fine on its own! Don't be afraid to experiment with it either. If you have some eggs laying around try adding some scrambled eggs to it to make some delicious breakfast burritos!